Unanswered: Open Access Database from Html Link

Anyone,

I have an Access Database on our company's local network which manages all of our maintenance issues. I'd like to set up a mechanism to email members of our maintenance board whenever a new maintenance request ticket is formed.

I've already completed the functionality to send out emails, and all of that works fine (using CDO.Message objects). Also, I have a command line reader implemented in the database that can trap a record ID passed into the startup form, and display the appropriate record.

The missing link, in fact, is the link. I can't figure out how to put the command line into an html link and have it work properly.

The format for the command line is "Path\MSAccess.exe" "Path\MyDatabase.mdb" /cmd "My Record ID"

Unfortunately, the html link doesn't agree with this kind of format. Any Expertise??
    Last edited by Lint Diggy; 02-02-05 at 14:17. Reason: Title wasn't attracting attention

One step closer

I've been banging on this all day, and I've found three other people on different forums asking basically the same question. Unfortunately, that is the only input I've found so far, so no help there.

The closest I've got so far is an email hyperlink like this:
    <A HREF="file://networkpath/mydatabase.mdb">Link</A>

This just opens the database file on the network. I still don't know how to get the command line information into the hyperlink (/cmd "MyRecordID").

One of you gurus out there has got to know the answer to this puzzle.

try doing it the other way round get access to read the email and get the id from it. it can be done but i dont know how sorry

Passing email

Sounds like a pretty slick idea mega1, but that would still hit me with the same problem. I haven't been able to pass any information to Access from the html link. Without this, I don't see a way for Access to know what email to parse. In addition, I think I'd have to maintain a huge collection of mail objects to read from Lotus, Eudora, Outlook, and whatever else anyone is using.

I'm pretty sure most of my users (if not all of them) are using Lotus Notes. However, I wan't to ensure that the app would work no matter what client my users have installed.

Thanks for the advice though. In two forums you were the only one to sack up and give a suggestion. Even those Microsoft guys are shying away from this one!

a wild guess:

is the HTML choking on " embedded in the href ??
    you could try replacing the embedded " with the HTML escape equivalent:

it's tough to type the escape sequence here cos the stupid site keeps "interpreting" it back to a literal quote!!!
    so here it is on multiple lines

&
    #
    ;

in reality it wants to be a single 6-character "word"

sorry - i have no way to test this.

izy
    Last edited by izyrider; 02-03-05 at 12:36. Reason: typo
    currently using SS 2008R2

I think we're getting close

You're suggestion worked and didn't work, which is twice as good as I've come so far. I used the html escape word you gave me, and I got the command to look great. Now I'm struggling with telling the browser just where to go.

Let me explain.

As stated before, the command line syntax is as follows:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe" "Path on network:/MyDatabase.mdb" /cmd "MyRecordID"

IE just says that the web page couldn't be found, so I believe I'm formating something wrong.

I'm certain I've got the second part correct, because I was able to open my database without any arguments. "file://Path on Network/MyDatabase.mdb"

I'm not so certain about the first part however. Should I use "file://", or just "C:/" or something completely different.

i have never tried to do what you are doing, but here's my guess:
    <a href="£C:\here\there\mydatabase.mdb£ /cmd £Your ID£">myLink</a>

using £ as a substitute for the escape-sequence

this is more an HTML problem than an Access problem ...try posting on an HTML forum and see what you get.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Definitely an HTML problem

You are absolutely right, this has become an HTML syntax issue.

If I get the link to read like this, it opens Access
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe

If I do this, it doesn't
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\Msaccess.exe"

Driving me nuts.

Giving In

I appreciate all the suggestions, but I've spent far too long on this little problem. Think I'm gonna have to let this one win and send the record info inside the email itself and make my users open the app and search for the record themselves.

Besides, passing a link to an application prompts the IE warning, and I really don't feel like writing a script to tell the registry that this particular file is ok. Next time I have to design a db, I'll have to give it an ASP front end so I won't run into these little snags.

I'll leave this thread open for a couple of days just in case someone has another idea.

Hi,

I created the database in E: drive, which is sharing drive.

How can I pass the link (open the database) in the outlook to people?

Thanks.