Unanswered: Enter Parameter Value

(I am a noob btw) I have created a query, and in the criteria box, i have type:

[Username?]

when the query is ran, i see the title of the search box is: "Enter Parameter Value", is there a way i can change this to something a little more user friendly?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by slice16
    (I am a noob btw) I have created a query, and in the criteria box, i have type:

[Username?]

when the query is ran, i see the title of the search box is: "Enter Parameter Value", is there a way i can change this to something a little more user friendly?

Thanks
    Imo, use forms to let ppl enter values. Queries are best used (as far as I know, I'm noobish too ) as method to select data from already existing data in a table/db.
    You could make a nice, userfriendly form to let ppl enter data, then make some big-ass "search"-button they can press et voila :P

But maybe I should ask, what do you want to do in the first place?

Parameter

If you're getting the popup box [Enter Parameter Value] then something is wrong with your query. If in your query you have something like (for the field row) UserName: [UserName?] then you should be prompted with a popup box that says UserName? not [Enter Parameter Value].

If what your looking for is the username in your query and don't want it to prompt, you can try doing something like this:

UserName: =getuser() and have a function like this in a module:

Function GetUser() As String
    Dim strSQL As String
    '** Procedure to Get the User's Name from the Windows Login
    Dim si As SystemInfo
    Set si = New SystemInfo
    Dim strOut As String
    'strGetUser = si.UserName
    'strOut = si.UserName & " is logged into " & si.ComputerName
    GetUser = si.UserName
    If GetUser = "" Then
    MsgBox ("There is a problem with your Network Login Name!! Please contact your Network Administrator.")
    DoCmd.Quit
    End If
    End Function

You could also have a form as avlan suggested and set the default value of a field to =getuser() using the above function in a module.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I use parameters in my queries all the time if I'm going to be running a report for a different period or something like that. The "Enter Parameter Value" is actually on the heading of popup box and the question "Username?" is actually above the textbox used for entry.

I've never known any users to have a problem with the header, but if it is really a problem, maybe you should try and find someone with vb for access knowledge. I'm sure there is someway around it.