Unanswered: what is the impact of the modification of DB2 DAS SVCNAME (port)?

hi,

i want running on a solaris machine both DB2 V7.2 and V8.2 simultaniously. for this purpose i intend to change the port of the V8.2 to use another port than 523 set during the installation. is there anyone who has some experiences related to this?

in the DB2 Command references document the is a note: "it is not recommanded to modify the SVCNAME of the admin server set by the installation program"
    what impact may have the change of the SVCNAME (port) on my system?
    could i get both Admin servers on the same machine running?

thanks!

Only 1 admin server can run on a single physcial machine.

Don't change it.The ports below 1000 are mostly used by root/system.

admin server also interface with other program/process such as

scheduler etc.

regards

Mujeeb

I'm not sure if you can change it once installed ... If you manage to find the parameter, please let the forum know ..

The impact, I guess will be for the client interfaces like control centre, health centre etc which talk with the admin server ... I think they always connect to 523

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Quote Originally Posted by sathyaram_s
    I'm not sure if you can change it once installed ... If you manage to find the parameter, please let the forum know ..

The impact, I guess will be for the client interfaces like control centre, health centre etc which talk with the admin server ... I think they always connect to 523

Cheers
    Sathyaram
    Hi Sathyaram,

the port is changeable at least for DB2 V7.2 on Linux. I got this information from the following document (Part 4.3.4):
    http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks...tml/wwhelp.htm

unfortunately this not work on Solaris. the parameter SVCENAME for admin server is missing.

to the client interfaces; it is possible to configure the port.

due the fact the SVCENAME parameter is missing on Solaris i can conclude that changing the port may not be possible for solaris.

cheers!

thanks Mujeeb,

i'll look for alternatives.

greetings

I suupose one must ask the question "why do you want two admin servers running on the same system?" Especially when I see a statement like "You can only have one DAS on a machine."

James Campbell

Hi James,

the reason is that we have online applications that running against DB2 and we need reduce the down time of the applications as well as the recovery time (switching back to v7.2 in case of problems) to minimum during the migration. so we thougth it's best to have v7.2 and v8.2 installed, let the applications running against v7.2, prepare the environment for v8.2, switch the applications to run against v8.2. and in case of problems switching back to v7.2. this will be first done on the production environment to gain experiences.

kirna

" this will be first done on the production environment to gain experiences"

????
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.