Hi everyone,

I'm connecting to a MySQL 4.1.7 DB through the "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver" MySQL JDBC 3.1.6 Driver in a webapp running on Tomcat 5.

Everything is working fine, I am able to execute queries and parse the resultsets being returned by these queries.

My problem is just about the METADATA retrieval... I use "latin1" as default character set for all of my DBs, Tables, Server, Conns, etc. That way I am able to store and retrieve characters like "ηγ" onto my tables. When I use latin characters onto the METADATA (like "field enum('ηγ')" in a CREATE TABLE definition), the characters are also being stored correctly. Until now, everything was fine. However, when I try to retrieve the METADATA created with latin chars (using some command like "SHOW COLUMNS LIKE 'field' "), they come replaced by "??"... How could I retrieve this METADATA information with the right latin characters instead of the bizzarre "??" ???

Below is all the information about the Table Creation and the JSP Code that retrieve incorrect the METADATA:

CREATE TABLE `tbl_Test` (
`tp_test` enum('ABC','CDE','ηγι') NOT NULL default 'ABC',

PS: Table created through the SQLyog Client

<%@page import="java.sql.*"%>
<%@page language="java" contentType="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" pageEncoding="ISO-8859-1"%>
<%response.setContentType("text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1");%>
String driverClassName = "com.mysql.jdbc.Driver";
String url = "jdbc:mysql://SERVERNAME/DBNAME?user=me&password=secret&useUnicode=true&cha racterEncoding=ISO8859_1";
String query = "SHOW COLUMNS FROM `tbl_Test` LIKE '%tp_test%';";
String vals = null;

Connection con = DriverManager.getConnection(url);
Statement stmt = con.createStatement();
ResultSet rs = stmt.executeQuery( query );

if( rs.next() ) {
vals = rs.getString(2);

Here is what I get when I execute the above JSP:
In other words: NONE of the latin characters were correctly retrieved...

Here is some other info about my MySQL server that may be usefull:
mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE '%character%';
| Variable_name | Value |
| character_set_client | latin1 |
| character_set_connection | latin1 |
| character_set_database | latin1 |
| character_set_results | latin1 |
| character_set_server | latin1 |
| character_set_system | utf8 |
| character_sets_dir | /usr/local/share/mysql/charsets/ |
7 rows in set (0.02 sec)

PS: See the above "character_set_system | utf8" ??? Changing this to "latin1" will solve my problems?? If so, how can I set this value??

I'd really appreciate any help that could at least point me to the right directions.

Tnx in advance,