Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Question Unanswered: Front end on systems reading different backends?

    Help please.

    I have a DB (MS Access 2000) that is split and the front end is loaded on the C drive of the various workstations. The backend is located in one spot - N:\Intake\NewDatabase\FieldworkBETable.mdb and the tables linked. Everything was fine and no problems arose until we replaced the main server that the company uses.

    You will ask me if the front end tables (about 12 of them) were "relinked" to the backend...the answer is no because the address on the server was not to change. The problem we have is that now my (I'm developing this DB) computer and 2 others have had the tables relinked...and now we don't see the same data as the other systems. Normal you will say...except for this....

    The systems that were not relinked are the one's matching the data in the backend, on the server, if you enter it and view the tables directly. The computers that had the front ends relinked, no longer see the same data. I have tested this by putting in dummy info...I entered an amount into the table via one computer (links not refreshed) for $1,500. and an amount into the table via my computer (links refreshed) for $10,000. When I go into the backend table directly on the server and view the table, the info matches the $1,500 from the computer that wasn't relinked.

    Confused? I am. I could understand if the backend table was showing the $10,000 as this would be a computer with a refreshed link and the other from an un-refreshed link was reading old info from cyberspace somewhere. I have had two computers close by and have gone into the Linked Database Manager on both systems...and the link showing for the table is identical for both the refreshed and unrefreshed system.

    Any thoughts and/or assistance on this would be appreciated. It is probably something I am missing, but my brain is too confused to figure it out!

    Novelideas

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN US
    Posts
    313
    Strange one. Just a thought...

    You can go to the directory on your server where the back end resides and you should have an LDB file there. You can open this file with notepad and see who/workstation is logged into the back end. Or a search for LDB files on the server might turn up your phantom back end.

    Chris

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Phantom DB Backend

    Thanks, I'll try it and post what I find...it may help someone else!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    out on a limb
    Posts
    13,692
    Provided Answers: 59
    is it possible that at the same time the server was changed some bright spark changed the login script so that what was drive N: is no longer the same for all machines.

    You know access is talking to a back end somewhere, and you have identified 2 machines which talk to differnet back ends
    First thing I would check is what are those 2 front ends talking to, you can check using the tools / database utilities / linked table manager.

    In this case it wouldn't help (unless the new server was caled the same thing), but I always try to ensure that I uses the full URL \\servername\path rahter tan a drive letter

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    8

    Smile Phantom DB Backend

    Hi,
    Just an update to advise....

    I searched for all editions of the .ldb files (searched everything) and only came up with one hit...the one at the correct location on the server where the backend should be. When I opened the .ldb file in notepad, the users were a mix of the systems showing the correct table info and of the users with the incorrect table info. Note: Only one table in the backend seems to be affected. Even though I refreshed all links on 3 computers for all of the tables (verified spelling, etc.), those 3 computers still showed the incorrect table info with the dummy $10,000 and still showed as linked in the .ldb file along with the other systems.

    Also, another quirk....knowing that systems had the DB open, creating the .ldb file (I was looking at it), I went into the backend directly and tried to update one of the fields in a table. I should have rec'd an error message telling me the DB was locked for editing and couldn't save any changes I made. I didn't get that error message, and the change was saved regardless of systems being actively linked.

    One solution that appeared to work, is that I deleted all of the linked tables in my frontend DB so nothing showed and then went in and re-imported the linked tables anew. Low and behold, the $10,000 was gone and I am showing the info that the "unrefreshed" linked computers do...and I now match what the backend shows directly.

    If anyone has any thoughts on why this happened, I would be happy for the enlightenment. In the meantime I am going to delete the tables from the frontend systems not showing the accurate info and import the table links fresh rather than just updating them.

    Thank you for your help...I learned about the .ldb files and that will help in the future.

    Take care,
    Novelideas

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    MN US
    Posts
    313
    Thanks for the update and glad things are working. Wish I had an answer for you, but no clue why that would be happening. Maybe someone else here has an idea.

    Have a nice weekend,

    Chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •