Unanswered: Houston, we have a numeric field problem.

Hi,

Here is the situation: I'm importing data from a txt file that is automatically generated by a very old system (20+ years old, in a Basic dialect, I dont wanna touch that with a stick) to an Excell workbook.

From there, I link the excel file as an access table in my db.

My problem is, in some fields(columns) I can have both numeric or text values,... First I need these fields to be numeric in my access linked table, but most of em get converted to text fields.

Also I need to add these values to other values that are in other fields. I dont mind losing the text data but I need my addition to work even if I get a #Num! value or an empty field... is that possible?

And plz if it is, tell me how!

Hi,

And why don't you link to the txt file directly. I mean TXT-->MDB, and not TXT--->EXCELL--->MDB. Do you really need to do something first in excell?

not really,.. I did that because i wasnt able to import directly, but I think its because my txt files did not have the .txt suffix,... Since you are confirming this possibility to me, Im pretty sure it'll work.

But the major problems comes from adding blank fields or fields with non-numeric data...

Search the knowledge base for that. They have an article of what you'll need to do to get data from a txt file. I can't remember the article's number. I have a situation like that, because i needed to collect data from a machine with a txt file, and then to mdb.

Thanks a lot!