Unhappy Unanswered: Issues on Setting up a Report from a Query - Help!

Hey - any body know what's going on?
    I'm working on a report (sorry bout that) that has a couple headers (grouped) and I have it set up so that there is no space above or below the control, but on one header only it is giving me a space of like a 1/2" before it starts the next one in that group. Visually there is no space. Is there something I don't know?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Jennay; 02-03-05 at 13:51.

Hi,

You're trying to say a report. Isn't it?

The space of 12,73 mm or 1/2" is predifined for in the page set-up. you can reduce it to about 5 mm (aprox. 3/9 or 3/10"), it depends on your printers capability, to accept that margins. You have those spaces in privew mode and not on structure, because that spaces are the margins of your report, and they are defined to top,Bottom,left and right. Click on file, page set-up, and change them as you wish. You can not put the values to zero.

It isn't the margins of the page - it is the sizing of the header - not a page header but a grouping header. Please see attached print screen. The section called Part Header that has just the one control - Part - has extra space below each Part listed. What am I missing? That is the only one with this problem.

Help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

New - Need help on Report!

Ok I figured out the problem, but now I need help with that!

The query the report is based on uses more than one table and they are set up to include all fields from Parts and only those from Bullets where they are equal. I need this to happen (other joins set up the same way) because I need to see all of the records. Many times there is no bullet to go with the Part - Hence the extra space when I print preview. I need it to show the bullets when there are some, but I also need it to show all records from parts and above. Is there any way to set this up??

Hi,

Far as i understand, you are putting the control PART in the PART's group, and it is OK and the BULLET control in the detail, if you set the query to view all records from PARTS and only the related bullet ones, your report should list all the records from PARTS in the group and in the detail all the bullets related to that part n.. The problem is, when you don't have any bullet, the control BULLET is placed there, and it will create a space between the groups. To solve this problem, right clck th BULLET control, and in the format tab, set the control to be reduced when there is no data, this way the spaces will disapear.

That sounds like exactly what I need, but which format option does that? One of the ones shown or do I have to write a format in? Thanks so much for your help so far - just a little more! =)

While we're at it - is there a way to make a report look like an excel spreadsheet or a table? Usually I cheat and just use boxes and stuff to create the look I want, but for this one report - some of the controls grow to fit the text and lines and boxes don't, so it doesn't look right. Any suggestions?

Click on the textbox for the Bullet and in the properties on the Format tab there is a peorpety called Can Shrink, set it to yes. You might also need to click on the Detail and do the same.

That's what I thought would work but it didn't.
    Is there anything else to try? Is there a formula that can be written that if the value is null, something happens to make the space disappear? Is it possible to have a statement that tells it to make the control height 0" or something?

At this point I am desperate so anything that will help would be appreciated!

Thanks again

Try to use, instead of can shrink, can grow. Reduce the control to an aparent line, i mean, the hight of the control must be minimum, and in the properties, turn the can grow to true. This way, if there is no value, the space you get is minimum, and if there is a value the control grows to fit the data.

Relating to the other question of yours, you can workaround, but you'll never get the look of excell. Why don't you export your report to excell, this way you get an excell look and you can work values.

Yeah that worked. Now - is there no way to have lines that grow with the control? If not, can you tell me how to export to excel so that it doesn't split out all the rows oddly? Thanks again!

In the menubar or toolsbar, you have a buton with the icon of Ms Word, click on the right, on the arrow, and will appear other applications from office. Click on the Excell.
    Now, you only can do this, if your report is opened and in preview mode.