Cool Unanswered: How many characters has my field?

Does anyone know a function in SQL or how I can get the amount of characters of a field?

I have a column named NU_IPS wich contains data varchar type, that has a % symbol at the end, like 9.7% and so on... But in original table it can't be like this (it has to bem float type), I just want the number content, like this 9.7 For that I need in DTS put a query that convert it. That's why I need a function or something that can get the quantity of characters of each field.

So, It would be someting like this...

select substring(convert(varchar(getSizeField() - 1), nu_ipi), 1, 4) from dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR

It would cut always the last caracter, wich is '%'...

Any clues?
    All posts are welcome, thanks.

Look up the Len() - function ...

Look up the Len() - function ...
    The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.

Thanks Nephilim!

But why can't I put this function in the convert if it returns a int type?
    I guess it can't process each field at time, 'cause we can admit there's a table in convert varchar paremeter, it's obvious.

Like:
    select substring(convert(varchar(SELECT len(nu_ipi) - 1 FROM dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR), nu_ipi), 1, 4) from dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR

I've tried putting an IF statment...

Like:
    if ((select len(nu_ipi) - 1 from dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR) = 1)
    begin
    select substring(convert(varchar(1), nu_ipi), 1, 4) from dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR
    end

But it returns more than 1 value though.

Have you an idea how I can do it?
    Thanks

First of all, there really is no need to put a subselect in the select you posted :

select substring(convert(varchar(SELECT len(nu_ipi) - 1 FROM dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR), nu_ipi), 1, 4) from dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR

I think you are looking for something like this

select substring(convert(Varchar(10), NU_IPS), 1, len(convert(Varchar(10), NU_IPS)) -1 from dbo.t_STAGEAREACHAIR

however I'm not exactly certain I've understood your problem fully....
    The most likely way for the world to be destroyed, most experts agree, is by accident. That's where we come in; we're computer professionals. We cause accidents.

maybe i don't understand it fully either, but NU-IPS is already a varchar, so...
    Code:
    select left(NU_IPS,len(NU_IPS)-1) ...
    or alternatively
    Code:
    select replace(NU_IPS,'%','') ...
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

r937 and Nephilim
    I think You got it, that's what I wanted.
    It works...
    Really thanks!
    Juliane