Unanswered: How do I create a percentage in my SQL?

I need to create a percentage in my SQL. I have summed the employee counts for each department, then use 'coalesce' to get a grand total.

I need to be able to divide the departments into the dept_total so I can display a percentage for each via SQL.

SELECT DISTINCT SUM(dept_1) as dept_1, SUM(dept_2) as dept_2,
    Coalesce(Sum(dept_1), 0)
    + Coalesce(Sum(dept_2), 0) AS dept_total

Do you mean that ?
    Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT 
           SUM(dept_1) as dept_1, 
           SUM(dept_2) as dept_2,
           NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0) AS dept_total,
           NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) * 100 / (NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0)) as pct_dept1,
           NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0) * 100 / (NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0)) as pct_dept2
    HTH & Regards,

RBARAER

yes, that works...occasionally, though, I will get a "divisor is equal to zero" error. how do I catch for that?

Sorry for that . That should be better :
    Code:
    SELECT DISTINCT 
           SUM(dept_1) as dept_1, 
           SUM(dept_2) as dept_2,
           NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0) AS dept_total,
           NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) * 100 / DECODE((NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0)), 0, 1, (NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0))) as pct_dept1,
           NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0) * 100 / DECODE((NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0)), 0, 1, (NVL(Sum(dept_1), 0) + NVL(Sum(dept_2), 0))) as pct_dept2
    If (sum1 + sum2) is 0, then both are 0 (I suppose both are >= 0), so we divide by 1, else by (sum1 + sum2).

Does that work as you expect ?

Regards,

RBARAER

yes, that worked. thank you very much. i was trying to work with decode before you replied, but i had difficulty. and thanks for the explanation. i'm not a novice, but i have enough knowledge to be dangerous!