Question Unanswered: DLookup's, Drop Boxes, Forms, and Confusion

I'm very new to access, and I'm designing a contacts database for the company I work for. I have two combo boxes on the form - Country & StateOrProvince. In order to make data entry easier, I've managed to set it up so that Country is stored in a drop box which displays a list of all countries that have been entered so far, as well as letting you input new ones.

I would like to set up a similar thing with the StateOrProvince dropbox. HOWEVER, I only want it to display values that have been entered for the particular country selected on the form - so, if you select USA on the Country dropbox, it would display a list of previously entered US states on the StateOrProvince box. If you selected China for the country, the StateOrProvince box would show previously entered Chinese provinces, and so on.

I've tried to do this using DLookup, and I can't get it to work.

SELECT DISTINCT [StateOrProvince] FROM Contacts WHERE Country=DLookup("Country","Contacts","ContactID=" & ContactID);

I've tried many variations on the above, but I think my problem may be that DLookup looks at a value in a table rather than a value in a form.

Does anyone know of any (relatively uncomplicated) way to do this?

Cheers,
    Daniel

try something like this in _AfterUpdate of the first combo

dim strSQL as string
    strSQL = "SELECT tblStates.StateID, tblStates.StateOrProvince FROM tblStates "
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE tblStates.CountryID = " & Me!firstCombo & ";"
    secondCombo.rowsource = strSQL
    secondCombo.requery

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

i worry a little about your tables having seen the way you are building the Dlookup(). methinks you should have something like:

tblCountry:
    CountryID, auto, PK
    strCountry, text

tblStates:
    StateID, auto, PK
    CountryID, FK on tblCountry
    strState, text

tblXxxxxx
    XxxxxID, auto, PK
    StateID, FK on tblStates

izy

i worry a little about your tables having seen the way you are building the Dlookup().
    Err, yep, I'm only using one table ('Contacts') which has all the data for each contact. I don't have a seperate table for countries or states or anything. I probably should have - I take it there's no easy way to do it without creating new tables?

I've tried:

dim strSQL as string
    strSQL = "SELECT Contacts.ContactID, Contacts.StateOrProvince FROM Contacts "
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE Contacts.Country = " & Me!Country & ";"
    StateOrProvince.rowsource = strSQL
    StateOrProvince.requery

This didn't work - probably unsurprisingly

My knowledge of VB or SQL is virtually zilch; I can usually vaguely follow the flow of code but this stuff has got me stumped. Basically I just want a piece of code that says:

'Grab the StateOrProvince from all records where the value in the Country field is the same as the value in the Country combobox on the current form'.

Me!Country is text ??

if yes, use:
    strSQL = strSQL & "WHERE Contacts.Country = '" & Me!Country & "';"

izy

Thanks - still doesn't work though - when I select the StateOrProvince combo box, it brings up a message: "Enter Parameter Value" with a text box for me to type it in. On the plus side, entering in a given country does result in it displaying the correct provinces, so that's a start!

OK, that was happening because I still had an old SQL statement in the rowsource property of the StateOrProvince combo. I've fixed that - now, when I select the combo, it shows nothing.

Ah, almost works now, after fiddling a bit (not sure what I did). Unfortunately the user has to reselect the country before it registers in the StateOrProvince box.

Maybe instead of Country = Me.country, you can use Country Like '*' & Me.Country & '*' so if country is blank, it won't filter.

Working now. I probably did it in a fairly complicated way. Also set it up so that if country is blank, it won't filter, but I did this with nested ifs. It works - that's all that matters for now

Thanks for the help