Unhappy Unanswered: Very Large Query Bring down our server.

Hello,

I created a stats program, what happens is our Statistician puts all of his infromation into an MS Access database, and he uses a program to convert the access database into an SQL file. He then uploads the SQL file to the server, and I run a query on a table, that contains over 10 thousand recoards. When we do this MySQL will crash sometimes. I will paste the query here.

Code:
    CREATE TABLE tmp_player_2 AS SELECT `Players`.`PID`, sum(`Players`.`GP`) AS `SumOfGamesPlayed`, sum(`Players`.`G`) AS `SumOfGoals`, sum(`Players`.`A`) AS `SumOfAssists`, sum(`Players`.`PIM`) AS `SumOfPIM`, sum(`Players`.`PTS`) AS `SumOfPTS`, sum(`Players`.`PPG`) AS `SumOfPowerPlayGoals`, sum(`Players`.`SHG`) AS `ShortHandedGoals`, sum(`Players`.`ENG`) AS `SumOfEmptyNetGoals`, sum(`Players`.`GW`) AS `SumOfGameWinner`, sum(`Players`.`TG`) AS `SumOfTG`, sum(`Players`.`IG`) AS `SumOfIG`, sum(`G`) / sum(`GP`) AS `SumOfGoalsPerGame`, sum(`PTS`) / sum(`GP`) AS `SumOfPointsPerGame`, sum(`PIM`) / sum(`GP`) AS `SumOfPIMPG`, `Player_IDS`.`Pos`, `Player_IDS`.`No`, `Player_IDS`.`TID` As TID, `Player_IDS`.`Name`, `Player_IDS`.`Rookie`, `Team_IDS`.`Team` FROM `Players` INNER JOIN `Team_IDS` ON (`Player_IDS`.`TID` = `Team_IDS`.`TID`) INNER JOIN `Player_IDS` ON (`Players`.`PID` = `Player_IDS`.`PID`) INNER JOIN `Games` ON (`Players`.`Game` = `Games`.`Game_ID`) WHERE (`Games`.`Type` = 2) GROUP BY `Players`.`PID
    What would u recomend me do to this query that will make it work better? Also this query is ran 6 times total, with a rest of 20 seconds between all of them, but it will only crash on the 10 thounsand recoard table.

We are running MySQL 4.0.23-standard. Our server is a 3GHz, with 1GB of ram.

do you have indexes defined for the columns being used in the joins?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Hello,

Thanks for the fast reply.

I just checked and the only feild that has a Key is the Players Table (with 10 thousand recoards) and that is on the ID feild, witch does not get used in the query.

Thanks,
    Jeremy Ross

in that case, how about creating some indexes, and running your query again
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Hello,

Thanks for the input. So adding index's to the tables would make the processing go faster? I don't want to make any trouble by chaning to much about the database. Just adding indexes to the ID's wouldn't be hard. I dont' want to add too many indexes to each table because that would slow it down, correct?

Thanks,
    Jeremy

yes, each index makes SELECTs much faster but INSERTs UPDATEs and DELETEs a tiny bit slower

so do the calculation, multiply out how many times per day that each type is executed, times either much or tiny
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Does MySQL support a bulk insert feature similiar to Microsoft SQL?

If not, any plans for it in the 5.x releases?

rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Thanks for all your help, I very much appreciate it! The database is now working great!

Thanks so much
    Jeremy Ross