Thread: Table Question

Unanswered: Table Question

It seems the more tables you create, the more organized/structured your data can become (many to one relationships and keys).

However, and this is the point of this thread: VB makes it so difficult to update more than one table at a time. It seems that using the built in ADO (the one you drag onto the screen) is worthless for updating more than one table. I use a programmed ado variable (via Modules) to update tables and insert into tables; however, it becomes ludicrously annoying/difficult to check tables and values... There must be an easier way to think/go about all this.

How do you guys update multiple tables- like if you have multiple addresses with common contact information, you would find the ID from the contact and then insert it into the address table (to avoid redundant information obviously). What's the fastest/easiest way to do this?

Provided Answers: 59
    It seems the more tables you create, the more organized/structured your data can become (many to one relationships and keys).
    its called normalisation...

If you are planning to update many tables concurrently within a single form then open the recordsets using an adodb recordset on form opening, remembering to close & set to null on form exit

you can then write to as many recordsets as you wish without the performance pain of opening and closing using docmd

you can iterate through the recordset

I have just completed a data takeon from disparate excel spreadheets, equating to about 200K rows of data, a breeze with vba, but it would be a pain trying to coerce the spreadsheets to be a singler format and then do some reformatting using a single query.

So you would put into the ado array multiple recordsets? I assume that's what the nextrecordset method is for, right? How do you do this?