Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Rescuing an MDE file...

I've done a right balls up today.

Aside from having the backup of my mde file on a server, which crashed this morning, i now need to get the source code out of the mde file in some way, shape or form.

Unfortunately i just moved the mdb file onto the server about an hour or so before it crashed, and obviously a backup of the server hadn't been made at that time, so i've lost the original.

So far i've managed to get the tables and the forms out of it, but if anyone has discovered a way to reverse engineer an mde file to get the queries and modules out of it i'd really appreciate it if i could be told.

Hi, I'm no expert on the subject, but as far as I know...an MDE file does not have the source code in it...that's what makes it so much more secure than an MDB file...I'm not sure if you can get the modules or queries out of it...but I'm pretty sure you'll have no luck getting the source code back...

Hi,

Every server, runs with 2 or more harddisks, for prevent data lost. The data that are being recorded in one hardisk is the same that are being recorded in the others. This is called RAID disks with hot plugg. This is also used to take off and put a new disk without stopping the server. Suppose that a disk doesn't work, crashed for no reason, you can take off the disk with the server working, send it to your supplier, and when you receive the new one, all you have to do is to put it in the server, wich automatically will copy all the data that are in the remaining harddisk to the new one.

So it is probably that your information is safe. All you have to do is recover the harddisks.

Provided Answers: 59
    IF, and lets hope its true, that your server is using a RAID configuration, but then if it was would you notice the disk crash in the first place

Not all servers are born (or should that read configured) equal, some ahve RAID, some have redundancy some are just boxes.

Have you tried to restore the file from windows trash can?

I even if you can get a tool to decompile the MDE I doubt the resultant code would make much sense as it will be in PCode rather than human readable.

Good luck, praying for you on that one....

Yes! You are right healdem, i was thinking to recent servers.

PRIVATE SUB Scruss83
    IF your server have RAID configuration THEN
    you are luck
    Else
    you are f***ed
    END IF

I don't know anybody that could extract code and querys from an MDE file.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to recover code from a .mde file. If you moved the mdb from your PC onto the server and there is no way of recovering the lost server data, stop whatever you are doing with your pc NOW and get a decent undelete utility (the moved file won't be in the trashcan).

Although there is no utility to decompile an MDE database as yet, you can 'unlock' the MDE file using the MDE Unlocker @ http://www.everythingaccess.com/products-services.htm.

This will allow you to make design changes to the database by using macros however the VBA project is still locked.

This may not be suitable for your situation, but its worth a look.

We've kind of given up on that one im afraid. The development and testing of the mde file was on a development box, and because my work is stingy with the cash, we only had a desktop box to use as a development server (windows 2k Advanced server, SQL 2k).

Ah well, thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate it. Mind you, i wonder if anyone has thought on creating a program that can convert PC code into various other programming languages. Now that would be something to see...

What are you classifying as 'PC Code' ? - Do you mean compiled exes?

If you think about a program that could read PC Code as per Healdem's previous post, and if the said program had an "intelligent" compiler/decompiler that could examine each and every function of the mde file, then use it's "intelligent" compiler/decompiler to translate the PC Code into a pre-specified programming language to a degree that it could run successfully with a minimum of adpation/user interference then anyone could convert an mde file back to an mdb file, or export the code samples and convert them to the language they are using.

That would be an impressive feat of computer programming.

Just be careful of the term "PC Code" - it should be P-Code (actually Packed-Code).

I have a tool to reverse engineer P-Code into VBA code, however it is still in development and may not be ready for some time.

I shall consider myself enlightened then.

You're perfectly right in saying that it will be very easy to alter the decompiler to output in other languages though, which will be great.

I take it that you are developing the converter?

Yes, but it isn't high on my list of priorities at the moment, so development is relatively slow.