Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cleveland USA
    Posts
    184

    Unanswered: Access Conversion Problems 97 to 2002/2003

    At work, we are converting from Access 97 to 2003. When I convert the database, all the forms with any VBA will not show up in the new version. I get a message about conversion errors, but I don't get a chance to fix them. If I later try to import them from the 97 version, it lets me picks them, then acts as if all is well, but the forms don't show up! So, I tried it at home with Access 2002, and I get the same problem. If I try to open the database as a 97, those same forms STILL won't show up. Will it work if I can get to a computer with both Access versions and copy the code into a new blank form?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    404
    all the forms with any VBA will not show up in the new version..
    That's a new one on me - I converted lots of '97 database and have not come across this one. What sort of vba code are you referrring to? I had a number of queries which used things like "get_Date()" to call a vba function, but that's as far as the code went.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Préverenges, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,740
    do you have a reference for DAO 3.6 set ??


    izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,312
    What did you see in the Conversion Errors table? That shows a little more detail about the errors that occured during the conversion. I too have not had any problems converting forms with VBA in them. One other thought, does the 97 database compile using Access 97. I would try compiling the entire database before you convert it.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cleveland USA
    Posts
    184

    Unhappy

    I don't know about DAO 3.6, but I tried converting the database on three different computers, and it bombed every time. I think the database may be corrupt since it's kind of quirky sometimes, but that could be from bad programming too.

    The VBA code is not too complex, just if/then/else statements, opening & updating recordsets, that kind of thing.

    I will try compiling the database right before I try importing again the next time, but doesn't it compile before I run code, and I use the code in there regularly. It's attached to the various forms that are used frequently.

    The conversion errors table only had 3 or 4 records about "MySysObject", maybe not found? There are a lot more than 3 or 4 missing forms, though.

    I will try copy and pasting code if nothing else works, but the database is somewhat complex and I'm afraid I'll miss something by recreating files instead of importing.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Préverenges, Switzerland
    Posts
    3,740
    97 used DAO for "opening & updating recordsets, that kind of thing"

    check your references (alt-f11, Tools/References, "M" for microsoft, and set DAO 3.6)

    then go thru all the code searching the declarations for:
    "database" -> edit to "DAO.database"
    "recordset" -> edit to "DAO.recordset"
    in case this was not done by the "conversion".

    izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Sussex, England
    Posts
    404
    Izy is right about checking you references. The phrase, "..but the database is somewhat complex .." reminds me that some of our databases had complex code. When we converted the database or imported the code it simply corrupted. I ended up cutting and pasting modules from one to the other (I think I pasted a couple into Word first).

    Good luck.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    1,312
    If you convert a 97 database, then Access should add the reference for you. It sounds to me like the database you are trying to convert is corrupt. I would try repairing the database. If that doesn't work then import all the objects into a new database file.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Cleveland USA
    Posts
    184

    Red face

    Thanks, Ryker, for letting me know I'm not alone on this. All the databases maintained by other people converted with no problem, although they don't have nearly as much code.

    I think I'll create an empty 2003 database and just copy and paste everything into new forms- I'm not even able to import the objects. I'll then compile and correct the code as needed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    20
    hi

    I would not use the Built in access converter to do that job.

    try it this way: create a new AC2003 database. create a new module and check the reference for dao 3.6.

    then import all objects from your Access 97 database. - You'll have far less problems that way.

    good luck

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    20
    sorry, didn't see your last post.

    what about importing all objects to a new acc97 database (to clean the corrupted data) and then importing that stuff to Acc2003.
    i never had any problems that way.

    cheers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •