Unanswered: Data migration - Sybase to Oracle - Use of an ETL tool

For Sybase to Oracle Data migration, can an ETL tool like SAS ETL be used? The data migration involves complex mapping from source to target tables. Is it a general practice to use an ETL tool for a data migration?

Thanks,
    Sankar

Oracle has a migration tool that will perfrom the conversion. See the following link.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/tec...ion/index.html
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Be careful with the way dates are stored in each. Made sure day, month, year, time, etc. are mapped properly between RDBMSs.

I did my one thing with BCP out of Sybase and sqlldr in (with ctl files) to Oracle. If it's a one time thing, a tool may be the way to go, if you are going to do it more than once or twice, take the BCP/sqlldr plunge.

It would depend on your constraints. Do you simply need to migrate data? Do you have to convert database object? Is there limitation on costs?

For me the driving factor was cost and timing.

Converted CODA tables from Sybase to Oracle using BCP and SQLLDR. Tools were too costly and did not have time to learn the tool.

Using BCP and SQLLDR method, converted 40 Gig database in less than 24 hours (411 tables).

As previous posting mentions, be careful of special data types such date, timestamp, long, etc.

The oracle migration tool is completely free and will handle those pesky date fields etc automatically. It is provided by oracle so that people will convert to their database. It is a one way tool. It will not convert from oracle to any other product.
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Try Monarca

This is a really outstanding database migration tool, in fact, allows migrating from multiples databases. You can perform complex database migrations with this tool, it works for me smoothly!.

http://www.endiansoft.com/monarca/index.php

Good luck!