Unanswered: Converting Database

I need some help, we have a database for entering information that is used among all of the Supervisors/Managers and it is currently in Access 97. So I decided to convert it to 2000 which worked perfectly but now I have a problem.

I am trying to create a new form that sits over the top of the database and when I am working in the database all of the other users get an error message saying the database is locked by another user.

I split the database thinking that I could do all the work in the back end but with no queries I can't make a form to link to the info in the front end, any suggestions?

That is a change from Access 97 to Access 2000 that has caused me a great deal of grief. In Access 2000 they have taken away the ability for two people to change the database design of a single database.

But since you have split your database, you should be able to change the database the way Microsoft intended. You will need to make another copy of the front end. This copy will become your development database. Where you make changes while other users continue to use the Live database. You can link to the same backend and make your changes. Once you have made and tested all of the changes then you can replace the Live database with the Development database.

I am assuming that when you say split the database you have a back end with nothing but tables in it and a front end that has your queries, forms, etc.

To be honest livsmom it's not good practice to work on a live database, always work on a copy then update it to the users. I would even go as far as to suggest giving each user his/her own copy of the fron end. Believe me that stops a lot of problems, even though it increases the administrativve overheads!

Thanks so much for your help, it all clicked in my head and I completely understand it now! Thanks again!