Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Unanswered: How to SpeedUP my database??

Hey,

Ive got an HUGE database which contains more than over millions of records/tables/query's . All is set on 1 Dedicated Server, but its going to slow to request any of it. Its an MSSQL Server 2000 SQL-Database. Runs on Windows 2003 Server and is linked to our website. We have huge amount of customers, and when one of us is requesting an customer number it takes sometimes even more than 2 minutes to get the customers information. My question is:

Is it possible to have 2 dedicated servers which proces the same database as it would be on 1 server. Like one computer can have Dual Processors. Like that idea. Having an Dual Processing system for the database.

Somebody? pls? HELP ME?

it cos of we are growing with thousands of new clients per week!

This can be done.

If you're using acces, you can find under : Extra > Databasehelpprograms (something like that, i'm using different laguage-version) > Split Database

A wizard will start , and you can split the database so you can move tables to a new back-enddatabase.

thanks ill try that one

that we dont use Acces but an own made program called: Sybase.
    Its just we need to have one database over 2 servers. like having an virtual shared folder over 2 servers in this case an database.

are you sure it's Sybase? because in post #1 you said it's Microsoft SQL Server 2000

what exactly does the query that "requests a customer number" look like?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Provided Answers: 1
    Your problems could be solved by using a database wizard.

A REAL database wizard. The kind you HIRE and PAY A SALARY to. And that has YEARS of EXPERIENCE dealing with large, rapidly growing databases.

It is apparent from your post that this database is vital to your business, and that you do not have anybody currently on staff with the skills to manage it.

Go get somebody, quick. Otherwise, your system is going to crash and burn, and your business will suffer, and somebody's head (hmmm... I wonder who's...) is going to roll.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Got any DDL?

Is the thing properly indexed?

Millions is not a lot of data

When you get to 100's of millions...then we'll talk about partitioning...

what's the application layer?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Partitioning may start at a thousand, it depends on the structure (width, data types retrieved, data types used for indexes if eny, usage, etc.)
    "The data in a record depends on the Key to the record, the Whole Key, and
    nothing but the Key, so help me Codd."

How many gigs is your database?

- Please post the query that is taking a long time. We have tables with 5+ million records on our single machine and queries take sub-second time due to proper use of indexes.

- Run the select query in query analyser and check the execution plan. Do you see a lot of table scans?

I'll just bet that your database has not been properly tuned.

I second BlindMan's point - no wizard, other than the human kind, should be used for a solution to your problem. Understand that, immediately!

You are fortunate to have received the free advice in these postings - now heed it and keep your's from being the rolling head. That would be a great band name - The Rolling Heads.

Provided Answers: 1
    ...or The Talking Stones.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

... or how about the No Stones

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/050208/80/fbzpn.html
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

our database is over 5 terrabyte of information.
    it contains vital information about all our customers.
    Its an Sybase Database that uses MSSQL2000 as base.

We considert taking an second server that we virtually combine. Like an Dual Processor PC does.
    It's that we first are making an Test-Server offcourse to sort things out. But i might have been that someone here had an better idea for speeding up our database

Provided Answers: 54
    Just out of curiousity, could you execute:
    Code:
    SELECT @@version
    and post the result for us?

Assuming that you have sufficently "beefy" hardware to support it, 5 Tb is not a big deal for SQL 2000. That's a largish database by anyone's standards, but no where near big enough to make SQL Server choke, although without good administration it could strangle any server!

While SQL Server can't do load balancing or virtual clusters to split one database's load between a number of servers, you can use a technique called Distributed Partitioned Views that will actually give you more power/control at much lower query cost.

-PatP

Slow query

Perhaps you need to run DBREINDEX on some of your fragmented indexes ?? Perhaps you need indexes ?? Perhaps your query is poorly written ??