Unanswered: # sign in field name export error.. help please.

Hi

Have a Paradox DB and the creator used # in a field name, ie CONTROL# and i am trying to import data into Excel, i can get data but if i Query against that particular field ( CONTROL#='33') it bombs out because of the #, i can query against other fields!

Thanks for any help!

In ObjectPAL, quote signs can be used for field names that might be misinterpreted otherwise, like so "Control#".

Yes, unfortunately using the Import Data function within Excel it will not let you create a query against the field names with #. I don't believe i can smack the programmer so i am looking for another option

Is it possible to identify the field by number. Again, in ObjectPal, this is possible and would circumvent the name problem. If not, perhaps this is a problem the Excel help forums could provide more help with. Good luck!

The problem is the export file

Instead of exporting into excel format export as a tab delimitted file. And do not include the file names in the export. Create an excel template file with the columns in the correct order but with the column names renamed to something without "#". You will still be able to move the data back and forth between excel and paradox via a tab delimitted format but the column names will not be exported and that will prevent the problem excel has in reading the querying the data..