Thread: Unidata backup

Post Unanswered: Unidata backup

I did not know where to place this post. I need to backup a Unidata 6.0 database live. I have experience with Oracle, Informix, and SQL, however, I have no experience with Unidata. From my reading it seems that I can use the dbpause command, back up the data files and then unpause it. Is there any front end work to use this command, such as setting up logging, archiving, etc. It seems a little simpler that RFS as described by the documentation. If you can offer any other advice that would be great.

perhaps a better forum would be the "Other" forum in the Database Server Software area
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Even better would be comp.databases.pick !!

I presume you are just doing a normal backup - there is a Admin GUI that comes on the clients CD - It has backup and restore functions.

Alternalty you can backup at os level - each unidata table is a file or directory and each account/partition is a directory so you could baclkup the whole directory say. You can pause, tho most people will backup when no one is on - again the Admin UI will show you users.