Unanswered: How to Ignore Blank Columns (Please help)

Dear Friends:

I have a large table in database, there are colums which are blank for some entries. I want to skip that colums i.e. the blank colums should not be printed in report, Is it possible, I am using Crytal Repots 9.2.

Question

So if you have e.g. 1000 records, and column 3 is blank for 999 of them then you include the column, but if all 1000 records have no value in column 3 you hide the column completely and column 4 is where column 3 would be? Or do you just want to suppress blank / null values but keep the columns and their headers as they were?

Can you supply a small example of the data and required result?

Thanks dear for kind reply.

Actually I am designing a Pay Slip in which I am facing many columns, one of them is "Good Conduct Pay", there is no rule for this column, if Boss wants he may grant Good Conduct Pay to any one. Now only few person have this and which one not known. Like few more columns of this type are there.

So I want that "Good Conduct Pay" may only appear to those people where it is not Null and may not be printed for Null values.

If you have any solution, please help me...

You can add conditional suppression with a formula for the field:

Right-click on the field, choose the 'Format Field...' menu option. Click on the 'Common' tab in the Format Editor window. Click on the formula button next to the 'Suppress' checkbox.

Your formula could be something like this:

IsNull ({tablename.GoodConductPay})
    This will suppress the field if the GoodConductPay value is NULL.

Does that help, or am I missing something in your question?

Dear bcummings

Thankyou very much for your kind and great tip, it really works nice, but I want to know little more, the Fields are supressed but the place of field remains empty and it looks that something hidden.

Is is possible that after "Supression" the rest of fields move upward. I am enclosing a test database in MS Access and a Test Report, in that, if Name is empty then Father name should come upward to fill the gap.

I am again thankful to you.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mfdarvesh; 02-12-05 at 06:15.

Hi mfdarvesh

Check this attachment

Madhivanan
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dear Madhi Vanan, thanks, its a great tip