Thread: access and sql

Post Unanswered: access and sql

hello

i have managed to pull out a long query that can generate a report in mysql out of 3 tables that are linked toghether.
    in my sql statement i am using CASE to determine which value i choose for a certain field.

i know that if i execute that query in ACCESS to generate my report (a list with products based on categories, subcategories and brands), the CASE expression will not be supported by ACCESS.

if i change that expression to IIF (which is easy), then it becomes compatible with ACCESS but is no longer supported by MySQL. IMPORTANT: i must mention that i am using external linked tables (from MySQL) to retrieve the date in the report.

What alternatives do i have? Can i make that case/if in the report (and not in the query statement)? I need some small examples (i heard VBA code can do this..).

Serban

one possibility:

you can write anything you like in a passthru query and A will not try to (mis-) understand it. if CASE is supported on the backend then A can pass it thru.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

re

ok, you say that if CASE is supported by the backend (MySQL), then it will work in ACCESS too?
    that would be great. i am going to try the query.

take care: that's a PASSTHRU query.

make a new query,
    CLOSE the dialog asking which tables/queries - do not select anything
    switch to SQL view
    menu: Query/SQL Specific/PassThrough
    ....type (paste) your non-A SQL, anything at all that your backend understands
    properties: set your connection string
    save
    done!

izy

Talking re

many thanks, it works great, if i have problems i'll get back to you.

Serban

Post problem

when i am trying to modify something in the report, or when i delete a field (or any operation with a field) the 'Select Data Source' keeps comming back, even if i've added a .dns file and a data source via MySQL ODBC driver, and saved the settings.

after some clicks selecting the source (many times, repetead), it stops and show the report.

how can i make it not asking me over and over the source?

thanks!

glad it worked for you

next step - delete all those linked tables and work unbound/passthru: why waste one of the fastest SQL-serving machines in the universe by doing all the smart stuff on the clients?

izy

LATER - i see it didn't work 100% for you.
    sorry - no great ideas. i guess there is a lot of internal communication going on between the report and the server when you modify the report but i have no details, but why it should keep asking you the same question i don't know.
    Last edited by izyrider; 02-09-05 at 14:39.