Unhappy Unanswered: Undefined function 'Trim' in expression?

My db has suddenly stoped recognizing the trim function. I've checked for broken references and there are none. It also no longer recognizes the Left function (although it recognizes it enough to tell me I've got the wrong number of arguments when I only specify one argument).

I've compacted and repaired multiple time to no affect.

Using the same machine, I can access another access db on the network and through it I can use the trim function fine.

Anyone got an idea what's going on?
    Kit Lemmonds

Try compiling and then check for missing references ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

I'm not sure what you mean by compiling. You mean compile it into an MDE?

Thanks.
    Kit Lemmonds

Design a module, either open a new one or edit an existing one. Then goto Debug/Compile (for 2000 or higher) or Debug/Compile All Modules for 97. What things are you referencing? Just the usual or did you have to add a reference?

Another thought. I had this same problem when I copied a database from another system. There is an article on Microsoft on it, and basically it says that if the new system has a different version of the referenced library then you need to for Access to reset the references. To do that, uncheck a current reference, exit references, then go back and recheck the reference and exit again.

Thanks - I'll try resetting all references. I tried to compile, but it has some empty modules that show "File not Found" when I try to view them. The same error is reflected when I try to remove these modules. So compilation is not possible right now.

I'll attempt to reset references.

Thanks again.
    Kit Lemmonds

I couldn't find the specific article but this one is pretty good:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;310803

If you look at the section titled Refreshing The Reference List, that is what I am talking about.

Wow - the database will not let me add or remove references ("Can't perform requested operation"), so I can't even perform the fixes listed in the article.

The only weird thing I did today was to change the properties for 3 tables containing replication errors (I unchecked the make replicable checkbox, saved and compacted, then opened and rechecked the make replicable).

I'm not sure if there's much more I can try or if I should just start exporting all the objects now. If this is a corruption issue I'll probably just move the corrupted object into the new db.
    Kit Lemmonds

On a related note, does anyone know of a way (or tool) to export multiple objects to a new Access db?

Thanks.
    Kit Lemmonds

export: no

but import: open the new db and File/Get External Data/Import... if the source is a .mdb you can select as many objects as you like in a single import operation.

.mdb -> .txt -> .mdb
    is also do-able (was a post on it here in the past couple of weeks) but i have never done it so can't help.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

...and while we are at it - can't explain why trim() / left() disappeared, but what are you trimming/lefting ?

...if the data is string, did you try trim$() and left$()

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2