Unanswered: Access Lost Data

Hi all,
    Quick question that has been irking me for a day or so. I have a staff table in my database that appeasr to be losing data and changes made to it. Has anyone else come across such a problem in the past.

I have to keep re-entering changes because they are not saving in the table. Now i am fairly confident that no-one else is in this table and i am the only administrator of this database. so can see no reason why this is happening ? ? ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Eddiesvoicebox

How is the data entered? Through a form or datasheet.

DJN,
    Thanks for the reply. In answer to your question currently the data is being entered straight into the table, there is a process soon to be implemented whereby data will be moved over into the database from an Excel form but this goes into a holding table which then appends into the Main Table.

Hope this helps in some way.

Eddiesvoicebox

Mmmmm. Very strange. Not come across this before. Can you post the field names and properties for each field in the table?

Unfortunately the table has aproximately 40 fields. But there is nothing special about it really, it is a staff table that holds logons, dates, payroll info etc. The only special propertiesd on any fields are formatting date fields as date etc.
    Nothing actually runs from thsi table as i then append all current records out into a current staff table that is the backbone to all the MI reports we run. so the table is completely standalone and only used by me.

It may be that maybe my Access is playing about and needs to be re-installed or something.

Regards

EddiesVoicebox

Do you have any primary keys at all or indexes that cannot be duplicated in a field at all?

I've issues with adding records, based on same indexes or primary keys, but never lost data.

Do you use an append query to add the recorsd to your table?

Hi Dave, thanks for taking the time to look at this for me.

In answer to your question, no i dont have any Primary Keys or indexed fields in the table.

But i do append the records into the table after they have been checked.

I think maybe this is just one of those quirky things about Access that has no explanation.

Regards

EddiesVoicebox

May I suggest something.

By the sounds of it you have a table that you append to the Employees table, if I'm hunderstanding things right.

First off try using an append query, if you're not already. This should show an errors Access has actually adding these records.

Second, try writing some code that copies the Employees table prior to the append. Once the append is then done, do a quick comparison on the record count and see if what you're expecting to be added is.

If this shows up no errors, my suggestion would be to take a copy of the Employees table and then see what happens to the original and the copy. If they both loose data then I have no idea. If it's 1 table then perhaps by fixing the db or something it may help.

Sorry I can't be of more help and if you need any of the code for the form, give me a shout I may be able to cobble something together for you!

Dave.