Question Unanswered: Dumb in VB want a Helping hand to get the output i needed

Hi,
    I am working on a small project where i need to develop excel forms but as i m dumb in VB i m

The overall purpose of creating this form is to reduce the work.

I have one final data sheet where i need to fill some information related to work like start time of job, end time of job, total time etc. and the total time will get calculated automatically, but this sheet needs to be filled by every individual in my team. The information goes to this sheet from different users, can be for one perticular job or for different jobs.

i would like to develop some sort of form which will allow multiple users to enter all required information, these users should be able to print this form as well as my final sheet should also get updated job wise.

If anyone can help me to develop this form, i will be very thankful. coz every week one person waste more than 4 to 5 hrs to updated this sheet.

thanks

Regards,
    Swanand Oak
    Last edited by swanand oak; 02-10-05 at 17:22.

This is not such an easy thing to develop, and excel isnt really the best tool to use for multi user applications, could i suggest using some sort of database instead, Probably microsoft Access as this can have multi user support, you could also create a small vb application to do this writing to a file which you can import into excel when its all ready,

thats a couple of my quick thoughts about this
    All the Best
    Dave

Perhaps Access would be better.

Another thought for Excel (if I have understood you correctly): instead of using forms, set up a sheet for each individual, with all the formatting you need. Then add two more sheets, labeled First and Last, but nothing on them (they will be placeholders and reference sheets). Then make another Summary page, that is formatted identically to the individual input sheet. Then put all the individual sheets between First and Last; keep Summary before First. Then on Summary you can have formulas such as:

in B2

=SUM(First:Last!B2)

(or any other formula you need, although be careful because a few formulas do not work this way).

The beauty of this approach is that you can move sheets in and out of the First-Last sequence and Summary automatically changes. This works great for forecasting, etc. Thus, if someone sends an updated worksheet, you can remove the old and put the new one in betweem First and Last.

However, this may not solve what you need (still a cool approach to some problems!). If not, consider the database approach.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

My reading of the problem is that many people have to input at the same time,
    which you either do from a form of somekind or similar to keep data consistent, I would happily put together a vb.net program to do this (but i would require payment for that) but i belive that access is still possibly the best tool then when required exporting the data into an excel file and doing your analysis with excel, but maybe im biased as that is the way i work

Yep, David. The old adage is wise: "Use the best tool for a particular project".
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums