Unanswered: Online quotes with existing MySQL

I'm trying to make an online quote system. We already have a Mysql database in place with products / categories for our retail store. Our webmaster has left and its up to me to make this online quote system. I'm very framilliar with html, but not PHP or databases. I have database name, user name password and all that. I want to be able to offer all categories on one page and have a pull down list for each category, then have a total price listed at the bottom of the page.

Can someone suggest a good program to use to create something like what I have described??? I'm framiliar with GoLive, somewhat ok with Dreamweaver... or is there something else??

i've heard dreamweaver is really good at generating the database calls in php

doing pulldown lists populated from the database is, apparently, easy

calculating a total price at the bottom of the page might be a javascript function (with similar calculations on the server, if/when the user checks out) and dreamweaver does that pretty good too

or so i've heard

(sorry, can't help any further than that, i hand code everything in a text editor)
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Ok, here's an update and request for help - if anyone knows...

I've followed this guide to setting up Dreamweaver to connect to a mySQL database: http://www.ucl.ac.uk/is/mysql/dreamweaver/

It 'connects' fine through the 'test connection' stuff, but when I go to create a new 'recordset' (what dreamweaver calls a query) and I try to pull the list of tables from the database, it says ***No table found.

Anyone have any ideas how to access my tables? Maybe my tables aren't in the right format for dreamweaver to recognize them???

BTW: thanks for your ideas r937

you're welcome

i actually have a copy of dreamweaver mx

never was able to figure out all that connection nonsense

it seems an inordinately complicated piece of software

about the only thing i've ever seen that i would consider useful is that it colour codes my html/coldfusion tags

but my text editor does that
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL