Unhappy Unanswered: How-To for a Newbie

I'm using DB2 z/OS 7.1. Mainframe is z/OS 1.5.

I have a table that is in each of 5 separate DB2 instances. There are TCP/IP connections between all the instances (that allow tasks like Cross-Loader to work, etc.). A user would like to see data from all 5 instances, per a SQL query with various predicates. Rather than running a daily batch job to load a new instance of the table with data from all 5 instances, I would rather be able to use SQL to accomplish the same purpose.

It doesn't appear that I can run a query as a view to capture data from multiple instances, UNIONing the results together (I get an error saying that UNION is invalid for a remote instance).

Is there a way that this can be done with DRDA, perhaps using declared temporary tables, or perhaps a Federated data base concept? I'm a little lost here , so all help gratefully accepted!

Best regards.

Don't confuse the DB2 mainframe architecture with DB2 for LUW. It is not the same. There are no instances on DB2 for z/OS, but there are multiple DB2 subsystems, which is I assume what you mean.

I am not totally up to date with the different possibilities, but I think you should look at DDF (Distributed Data Facility). Check out the manuals on the IMB website and find out more info. You might try the Data Sharing Guide.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390