Angry Unanswered: Database used by another person or program?!

I have an apparently corrupt Access 97 database. I use LDBView to determine who's using the database. Today, there were no users in the database, and no .ldb file at all. However, when I tried to rename it to prevent users from accessing it so I could do maintenance, it told me a program or person was accessing the file. I got the network people involved, and they could not figure out who/what could be accessing it, and were unable to delete it. No other databases link into this database. Our solution for today was to hide the database, and use my updated copy with a slightly different name, which means 300 users have to change their shortcut.

Now, I'm thinking the database is corrupt, and that I should copy everything into a new, blank database. Will that fix this problem, or is there something going on that's causing this? It's happened before, and we had to do the hide/delete later stuff.

I have had a similar problem in the past with Access 2000. I had to go to the task manager (ctrl+alt+del) and look in the Processes tab on each machine for an instance of MSACCESS.EXE. For some reason this would be an active process but it would not show up as an active application in the Applications tab. I had to go to each machine until I found the one that had the process running and force it to end.

I'm not sure if this is your problem but I chased my tail for some time. Can anyone explain why this would happen?

Unhappy

Yikes! I have about 300 users on different floors, so I hope there's an easier answer. Today I had one of those. I think the user turned the computer down without shutting off, because she was in the LDB file, even after she turned it off. The computer had to be rebooted and then shut down properly. My problem is probably similar to yours, but I hope I don't have to walk around to 300 computers to see who's still got a process open.

The recognised limit for concurrent users is 255. Limiting to that could help! However it's interesting that in the Help file under 'Locking File' Microsoft states: 'In most cases, Microsoft Access automatically deletes the locking information file when the last user closes the database file.' It's the 'In most cases' which raises the question. As an ldb is made on every machine as the user opens his front end I'm not sure how you'd be able to check 300 are closed down.

I've had the problem with a "rogue" .ldb file causing an Access database to be locked up. We've been able identify the users on one or two occasions, burt as to why it happens I've been baffled. One thing I did want to check on was that any instance of .DAO code might have been left open by the code. (My manager never used .close on any object, and never set an object to nothing when writing code - neither did most of my colleagues.)

Whether that's worth looking into or not I don't know, I got promoted before I could get round to checking htat one out.