Thread: Replication

Unanswered: Replication

Hi,

May i know how to replicate data from 3 databases to 1 database? i do not want to synchronise the 3 dbs, they are to be different. The 3 dbs are 8i Enterprise Edition, the target db is 9i Standard Edition.

For e.g.

tgt db will replicate from db1 partitioned table A
    tgt db also replicate from db2 partitioned table B and db3 partitioned table C

i've read about the multi-master and materialized view replication environments but found them to be different from my requirements. Is my requirement possible?

Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

You cannot use Multi-Master replication on a "standard edition" database. That leaves Materialized View replication or 3rd party solutions.

Assuming you go with MV replication, start by creating three rep groups. The first group has your central database plus database A. The second group has the central database plus database B. And so on.

The fact that you are replicating just one partition of the table back to the central database implies, to me anyways, that you want MV replication. You can setup MV Logs to track changes on each of your three remote databases and publish the incremental updates back to the central database. It's a one-way push, just like you want.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

So i can create Materialized Views at my central database to view data from the partitioned tables in database A, B and C? i read Standard Edition does not support creation of partitioned tables, i don't know if it supports creation of materialized views on partitioned tables. (i don't think it supports creation of partitioned materialized views bec Replication Manager is required).

Hope you can help me on my doubts.
    Thanks!

That is right. You cannot use partitioning with Standard or Standard ONE, only with Enterprise Edition and Personal Edition. I read your original post to mean you are already using partitioned tables on the three remote databases, but not on the target database.

However, I think the solution still works. You setup replication on the servers you are pushing from, which in your case are Enterprise Edition databases with partitioned tables. They push to the non-partitioned MVs in your central database. As long as each partition pushes to a separate MV, you should be OK. The central database never knows anyone is using partitioning.

-Mark