Unanswered: Replace string with random numbers?

I have a list of about a million records for 500 distinct recipients. Each row contains the recipient ID number (text - 9 digits some with leading zeros, not an index key) that I need to change so that the IDs can't be connected to their current recipients. Does anyone know I can do an update query to disguise these numbers - substitute 2's for every 6, replace the whole string with random numbers --whatever. I tried to put a new row in the table, but I get an error message that there's not enough memory to save the new design, so I thought an update query might work. Any advice much appreciated. Thanks.

Can you copy the table (structure only) and redesign it and then append the records from the exisitng table?

Yes, I can do that, but wouldn't it just auto-number every row? Is there a way to keep each recipient's records together so that I still get the 500 distinct recipients and not a million different autonumbers? That's why I was thinking an update query might work better. But I'm game for anything at this point. Any built-in functions that might work?

I think I figured it out! I will make a table of the unique ID numbers, add an autonumber field as random numbers, take that table and use it in an update query to make the old numbers into new ones. Not pretty, but works in a pinch. Thanks anayway for your time.

Why not just run an update query with an RND function ?
    Darasen