Exclamation Unanswered: xp_sendmail & xp_logininfo no longer working under certain scenarios

I had a notification set up using xp_sendmail working fine for a while. Recently I updated the SQL Server to sp3a and we moved the mailbox that I was using to a Exchange 2003 server. I can still send my notification if I use the domain ID that runs the SQL service and the sa ID, but not the NT ID's that were running it before. I have users use NT authentication from a domain that's different than the one that the SQL server resides. There is a trust and nothing has changed with that. Below are the results when I try to run the notification using an NT ID. This ID has full permissions over the SQL server.

SQL Mail session started.
    ODBC error 8198 (42000) Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'INTERNAL\'.

Stopped SQL Mail session.

As you can see SQL Mail starts and stops ok, but I get the error on the xp_sendmail itself. I can run xp_logininfo to return all of the ID's using this NT login. But if I run xp_logininfo just on the problem ID, I get the following results.

EXEC master..xp_logininfo
    @acctname = 'INTERNAL\'

Server: Msg 8198, Level 16, State 24, Procedure xp_logininfo, Line 58
    Could not obtain information about Windows NT group/user 'INTERNAL\'.

Here's when it works.

EXEC master..xp_logininfo

BUILTIN\Administrators group admin BUILTIN\Administrators NULL
    INTERNAL\Sxx Axx group admin INTERNAL\Sxx Axx NULL
    SISDOM\sxx.dxx.axx user admin SISDOM\sxx.dxx.axx NULL
    SISDOM\Sxx.Dxx.Axx group admin SISDOM\Sxx.Dxx.Axx NULL
    INTERNAL\lxxx.rxxx user user INTERNAL\lxxx.rxxx NULL

The ones in bold work for everything. Please advise?

MSKB 830596 and/or 821334...

...seem to show a hotfix is needed.

I've looked at that one before. My error state is different, but it may work anyway. Do you know if there is a way to get the hotfix without contacting Microsoft? I don't want to incurr costs if this turns out to not be the fix.