View Poll Results: Is remote connection a WAY to create virtual database servers?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • This is absurd! Are you in kindergarten?

0 0%
  • This could be a hack approach! May be

1 25.00%
  • Yeah! Easy, I've done it

1 25.00%
  • I don't know! I'm not a pro

2 50.00%

Question Unanswered: Can I access MDB files using a remote connection?

I am creating a web application that needs to connect to an MDB database. I could upload this MDB file, or place it on a server. But couldn't I remotely connect to a computer via VB code and access, modify or create data in this way? Or perhaps P2P networking code in VB? Please assist!!!???

why don't you try uploading the access file to whatever database server your website is using. you can then just put a command button on your main form (of the mdb) that would create a connection and put any updates onto the server. i am far from an expert on web database development, but i have been studying the same issue. i

its a good idea, but unfortunately for me, i've already thought of it. i'm doing my first web application using a database, and the upload idea is the back-up plan in case i can't connect remotely. thankx anyway. at least i'm now sure that the uploading would work.

Provided Answers: 59
    Although I have never tried it, I guess in theory you could do this. I'm not sure I woudl want ot use an ISP which allowed that style of update, the security issues scare the life out of me.

Presuming you can get through the server firewall, and authenticate yourself as a valid user then there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to connect to remote resources.

Personally I wouldn't touch it. The way I have doen thsi before is to upload a text file or audit table with the SQL to update the required tables/columns and then run a script against that SQL.