Question Advice for stand alone database (functional on desktop without server)

Please help.

I would like to create a database, but with in mind that it should run on a standalone PC.
    So I should have access to the data locally, without the need to have a connection to internet or any kind of server.
    Finally I would like it to distribute it on CD/DVD, and don’t want users to force that they have some special software on the Computer before they can use the data base I created.
    Some self-installing program / viewer that is on the CD/DVD with the database I like to distribute, is of course acceptable.

Sorry for the bad English, but I’m from the Netherlands… (Sorry for that too )

I’m a novice, so what DB program do you advise?

Thanks,

A lot depends on whether you are develping for a single operating system such as Windows or Linux, or if you want to allow many different operating systems from a single distribution CD. Supporting one operating system is easy, supporting two is much more difficult, supporting more than two is only an incremental step more difficult than two.

To translate this into everyday terms... Developing an application for one operating system is like trying to push a car. Developing for two is like trying to push a bus with two people on it, while developing for six operating systems is like trying to push the same bus with six people on it. Developing for a single operating system is much easier than multiple operating systems.

A large part of the decision of what tool(s) to use depends on what you intend to do with them. Some tasks are much more demanding than others, and they require more sophisticated tools which require considerably more effort to learn. It would help me a lot to understand at least the rough idea of what you intend to do, since that will greatly affect the type of tool you'll need to do it.

Once you decide these questions, then I'm sure that someone here can help you decide on what tools you could use to do the job.

Your English is far better than my Dutch/Flemish, and probably better than my German. It wouldn't pass for that of a native speaker, but it can be easily understood. Don't worry about it!

-PatP

I've just finished a project such as you describe. My application is specifically for Windows. It turned out to be a lot of work, and several applications were needed to get the job done. For the database, I chose Paradox 10. It is very powerful, but as a result it is very complex and takes a lot of time to learn. There is a Paradox 10 Runtime that can be distributed on the application CD. To create the Help file, I used the Microsoft Help Workshop and Cheetah 9. For the Manual, Adobe Acrobat was used. Icons were created with Axialis Icon Creator. To compile the installation, I used Wise Installer 9. To create the installation CD, SamLogic CD creator. It was a lot more work than I thought it was going to be! Anyway, thought sharing my experience might be of interest.

Thumbs up Database as a stand alone application to be used on a PC

Thanks Pat and ByteRyder,

What you did ByteRyder , seems to be the same as what I mean.
    Creating the database is one story, but creating the forms is the other part.
    This all together should work as a stand alone application to be used on a PC.

And Pat, the rough idea of what I’m intend to do is something like:
    a combobox that changes upon the result of the previous combobox, and then the last combobox shows what is available.
    (one operating system (windows) is enough.)

I have no experience with Paradox 10… but it sounds interesting.
    Can you also create the forms with it?

Where can I get a trial version of Paradox 10?

But as you wrote: “It is very powerful, but as a result it is very complex and takes a lot of time to learn”, maybe this isn’t the best first choice for me.

So are there other solutions?

You can create an entire application with Paradox - forms, reports, libraries, etc. You then package it with the Runtime and it is a complete, self-contained application. To my knowledge, a trial version is not available, but you can read about it at places like Mike Prestwood's website and RDA World website. If you haven't had a lot of programming experience, I wouldn't recommend starting with Paradox - I've had experience with Basic, Fortran, and Pascal over the years and found Paradox (ObjectPal) to be challenging. Microsoft Access is considered easier to learn, and there are probably others. Good luck with your project!

Microsoft Access isn't the same thing as Paradox, but it is comparable in capability and significantly easier to learn. MS-Access allows you to customize the application in almost any way possible. The Access Developer product comes with a full runtime package that can be distributed.

The biggest problems with using MS-Access is that the distribution package is relatively large compared to what you'd need to distribute with MS-Access, and some people are generally allergic to Microsoft products, especially in the EU. I personally don't have any problem with large runtimes or Microsoft products, but I know that there are many people that do.

The decision that you have to make boils down to how much of your time are you willing to devote to this project? The products that allow quick deployment with relatively little development effort tend to have large deployment packages or cost a lot.

-PatP