Unanswered: OS dependant error... [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen(CreateFile()) on 2000 but not XP

I am developing a VB6 application which connects to an SQL 2000 database. The connection works fine with XP machines, but throws the error "[DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen(CreateFile())" on Windows 2000 machines.

I've seen a couple of proposed solutions, but am hoping someone can shed more definative light on the subject. My dev environment doesn't have 2000 available, and its a pain in the arse to get time at the production site to test and make changes.

Some info:
    The connection (and application) works fine when run on an XP box.
    The SQL Server is set for mixed authentication (the application uses a specified username and password), and is running on a W2K3 box.
    Connection String =
    Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Password=****;Persist Security Info=True;User ID=****;Initial Catalog=<authorized database name>;Data Source=<server name>

One response indicated that the person seeking resolution to a similar problem found it on the net, but didn't specify what the solution was... only that it had something to do with the network. This is of particular interest to me, and I am attempting to reach the person, but the post was over 3 years old...

Another related thread mentioned setting up the server to use TCP/IP connections. The server already has both Named Pipes and TCP/IP both set to default name/port. Since posting this initially, I've learned (I think) that the error is from using the named pipes library. I've added ";Network Library=DBMSSOCN" to the end of the connection string and will see about testing that on the production site on Monday. I'll reply to this post with the results for future reference by others.

Yet another Point Of View considers networking. The site is on a network and I don't know how this might play into the problem, considering that the application 'does' work on machines running XP but not 2000.
    Last edited by Flicktom2; 02-13-05 at 00:51.

Another related thread mentioned setting up the server to use TCP/IP connections. The server already has both Named Pipes and TCP/IP both set to default name/port. Since posting this initially, I've learned (I think) that the error is from using the named pipes library. I've added ";Network Library=DBMSSOCN" to the end of the connection string and will see about testing that on the production site on Monday. I'll reply to this post with the results for future reference by others.
    This solution actually solved my problem. Hope it helps others in the future.

I've added ";Network Library=DBMSSOCN"
    This actually solved my problem.

Thank you very much !!