Thread: DB Restore

Unanswered: DB Restore

I have 2 machines, 1 has an instance called abc this is 20g in size. I want to move this to another instance called xyz (and delete the datafiles). I want to move the abc instance to xyz by using a cold backup and method, but retain the name abc. What steps do I need to take? Is this too much trouble or is an export and import more feasable?

If the two computers are not using the same operating system, you can have problems after moving the files. Research Edian Format for more info.

I recommend the two computers have the same directory strucure, and the same version of Oracle installed, then it's very simple. Otherwise, tricky. In a simple case, just shutdown (immediate, normal, or transactional) the database you want to move, then move the files to the other server. Don't forget to move the initialization parameter file (init.ora or SPFILE), the password file, and optionally your entire /admin folder in you want to keep those old log and trace files. Also, you will probably want to move your TNS files like listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, tnsnames.ora. Edit the TNS files to update the hostname or IP address information, but none of the database files will need editing.

You don't need a special tool to move your database files. You can use FTP (binary mode) or whatever you have. If you're on Windows you can just copy/paste across the network.

If you using Windows, then you must use ORADIM to create a new Windows Service and registry keys on the server you are moving to.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

will the new name by xyz? If so, I need it to be abc.

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    You can lead some folks to knowledge, but you can not make them think.
    The average person thinks he's above average!
    For most folks, they don't know, what they don't know.
    Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by kram66
    will the new name by xyz? If so, I need it to be abc.
    If I understand you correctly, then using my earlier solution will preserve the name ABC. This is because it includes moving the control files, which has the database name ABC stored in them. However, I did make some assumptions about what you wanted. There is no such thing as "moving an instance to an instance." I assumed you meant "move a database to a new server."

If you are "moving an instance to another server" then you must have a RAC or other type of clustered environment. Then you have a lot less work to do. The instance can be moved to a new server without moving any datafiles. For example, you might have a server mounting a database whose files are on a SAN or NAS storage device. (This is not RAC, but moving the instance would be the same.) To move this type of instance to a new server means leave the database alone and just load the Oracle binaries on a new server. Let's say it's Windows. On the new server you install Oracle and use the ORADIM command as I noted earlier to create a Windows Service and registry keys. When the Windows Service starts it calls Oracle.exe to spawn an Oracle instance. The registry key tells it where to find the init.ora file, and the init.ora file tells it where to find the database control files. Once it has the control files the instance will mount/open whatever database you happen to have. In this case, it's the same old database.

I had to do that a few times last year. Very easy.

I hope this helps,

-Mark

Brilliant, thank you so much.