Unanswered: Incomplete resultset

The following SQL should return 18 records

select * from luxproject.v1_read_acct_positions
    where trunc(calen_dt) = '08 feb 2005'
    and trim(ssb_fund_num) = 'SDEC'

When I run it on my PC - either using DB Artisan or through an application which uses BDE to connect to the database I get 18, but when I run the SQL on the application server I only get 1 record.

This was happening on my PC and I amended my BDE settings and the problem was resolved. However the server BDE settings match mine now and still the SQL does not work. In addition even when the SQL is run through SQL PLUS (which does not use BDE) only 1 record is returned.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before... is there anything that causes an incomplete record set to be returned without any error message. The recordset is consistently wrong when the SQL is run on the server where as it is always right on my PC

many thanks

I suspect that the NLS_Date format is different on the server and your workstation. Change the query to the following and try running it.

select * from luxproject.v1_read_acct_positions
    where trunc(calen_dt) = to_date('08 feb 2005','dd mon yyyy')
    and trim(ssb_fund_num) = 'SDEC'
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Thanks - I checked this but the problem is that some but not all of the data is being returned for the date I specify so I don't think that it is a problem with the formatting. Some of the data that meets the where conditions are returned but not all.

Some query-tools format the date for you, some don't. So run the same query with date formatting in all your query tools to ensure you are indeed looking at the same thing.

try this query, and see what the differences are in the rows returned

Code:
    SELECT to_char(calen_dt,'mm/dd/yyyy hh24:mi:ss') 
    FROM    luxproject.v1_read_acct_positions
    WHERE  trunc(calen_dt) = to_date('02/08/2005','mm/dd/yyyy')
        AND  trim(ssb_fund_num) = 'SDEC'
    also, check that ssb_fund_num is UPPER SDEC in all cases.

HIH