Question Unanswered: External table create as select

Hi,

I have usual table. I'd like to create external table with the same structure as normal table.
    But create table ... organization external ... as select ... - does not work
    Is it possibility to create external table based on normal table structure.
    Usually I can create it by constructing it from views as column name, column type etc.
    I guess it has simple way I don't know.
    Could you please suggest this simple way to create external table as select from normal one?

Thanks,
    Sergiy
    Oracle 9i OCP DBA

The CTAS method of creating external tables is a new Oracle 10g Feature. In Oracle 9i all you can do is create external tables from flat files.

The CTAS method requires access to the DBMS_DATAPUMP package new to 10g.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Provided Answers: 4
    The External Table feature allows for flat files, which reside outside the database, to be accessed just like relational tables within the database: the flat-file data can be queried and joined to other tables using standard SQL. Data access can be serial or parallel for maximum scalability. From a user’s point of view, the main difference between an external table and a regular table is that the external table is read-only.
    Therefore, I'd say you can't create them as you'd like to.

Also, you said that you create external tables from views? What do you mean by that? "View" as a database object, or "view" as "look how a table looks like and then write CREATE TABLE statement"?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by markrem
    The CTAS method of creating external tables is a new Oracle 10g Feature. In Oracle 9i all you can do is create external tables from flat files.

The CTAS method requires access to the DBMS_DATAPUMP package new to 10g.
    Thanks for your answer, but production is 9i - so, I can not apply 10g feature
    Oracle 9i OCP DBA

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Littlefoot
    Also, you said that you create external tables from views? What do you mean by that? "View" as a database object, or "view" as "look how a table looks like and then write CREATE TABLE statement"?
    The last one I have a table view some structure. I have a view based on that table with subset of fields. I can construct create table organixation external from dynamic views but i'd like to do it with simple query.
    Oracle 9i OCP DBA

At last I solve it by constructing query
    Thanks for replies.
    Oracle 9i OCP DBA

So when you use the CTAS method for creating an external table in 10g, does a file actually get created at the location designated by your directory object?

-cf

Quote Originally Posted by chuck_forbes
    So when you use the CTAS method for creating an external table in 10g, does a file actually get created at the location designated by your directory object?

-cf
    I did not play with external tables in 10g
    Oracle 9i OCP DBA