Unanswered: Using Excel Object to import dynamic Worksheets

I have a workbook with multiple worksheets. The number of worksheets and their names will vary, but the data is all the same layout.

I've successfully been able to import the first worksheet. Is there a means of calculating the number of worksheets and then looping through appending each into a table?

Currently: DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel9, strTable, strFileName, intHeaders

I realize I will have to use the Excel Object, any tips would be great. Thanks!
    Doug

here's my code primitive for this sort of stuff - it's only an outline and not complete and covers a specific situation where i have XLS cells defined by data type etc etc, but it should show you one possible approach.

izy

Code:
    Private Function HarvestOK() As Boolean
        'reads the values in cells defined in table Cells
        'writes the values to table tblHarvest
        'for each of the worksheets in the files in tbl.FileList
        'returns TRUE if successful, else FALSE
        On Error GoTo err_HarvestOK
        Dim dunFiles As Long                                'number of files harvested so far
        Dim totFiles As Long                                'total number of files to be harvested
        Dim sourceXL As Object
        Dim sourceWS As Excel.Worksheet
        Dim countWS As Integer
        Dim loopWS
        Dim wotRow As Integer
        Dim wotCol As Integer
        Dim dabs As DAO.Database
        Dim recCell As DAO.Recordset
        Dim recData As DAO.Recordset
        Dim recFile As DAO.Recordset
        Dim fld As DAO.Field
        Dim cData As String

Set dabs = CurrentDb
        Set sourceXL = CreateObject("Excel.Application")                'create the XLS object & start Excel
        Set recCell = dabs.OpenRecordset("Cells")                       'recordset for the cells
        Set recData = dabs.OpenRecordset("tblHarvest")                  'recordset for the data
        Set recFile = dabs.OpenRecordset("FileList")                    'recordset for the list of files

recFile.MoveLast
        recFile.MoveFirst
        totFiles = recFile.RecordCount + 1                              'get the number of files to be harvested
        recCell.MoveLast

Do While Not recFile.EOF                                        'for each file in tbl.FileList
            dunFiles = dunFiles + 1                                     'increment file count
            pbUpdate dunFiles, totFiles                                 'update the progress bar
            sourceXL.Workbooks.Open recFile!fileSpec                    'open the spreadsheet
            countWS = 0
            For Each sourceWS In sourceXL.Worksheets
                countWS = countWS + 1
            Next

For loopWS = 1 To countWS                                   'for each worksheet
                Set sourceWS = sourceXL.Worksheets(loopWS)              'set the worksheet
                recCell.MoveFirst                                       'go to the top of cell list

recData.AddNew                                          'add a record for this worksheet

Do While Not recCell.EOF                                'for each cell
                    wotRow = recCell!cpR                                'set row
                    wotCol = recCell!cpC                                'set column
                    cData = sourceWS.Cells(wotRow, wotCol).Value & " "  'get data

'handle data according to expected field type

If recCell!cpIsBool Then                    'type is boolean
                        If IsNull(cData) Then
                            cData = False                               'NULL = FALSE
                        Else
                            If Len(LTrim$(RTrim$(cData))) = 0 Then
                                cData = False                           ' "  " = FALSE
                            Else
                                cData = True                            'else TRUE
                            End If
                        End If
                    Else
                        If recCell!cpIsNum Then                 'type is double
                            If IsNull(cData) Then
                                cData = 0                               'NULL = 0
                            Else
                                If Not IsNumeric(cData) Then
                                    cData = 0                           'not number = 0
                                End If
                            End If
                        Else                                    'type is text
                            cData = CStr(Nz(cData, " "))                'defaults to " "
                        End If
                    End If

recData.Fields(recCell!cpField) = cData             'place the data

recCell.MoveNext                                    'get the next cell
                Loop

recData!LINKfileID = recFile!fileSpec               'place the source file
                recData!fromSheet = loopWS                          'place the sheet number

recData.Update                                      'save the data

Next

sourceXL.Workbooks.Close                                    'close the XLS
            recFile.MoveNext
        Loop

HarvestOK = True                                                'the happy exit

exit_HarvestOK:

sourceXL.Application.Quit                                       'tidy up

Set sourceWS = Nothing
        Set sourceXL = Nothing
        Set recCell = Nothing
        Set recData = Nothing
        Set recFile = Nothing
        Set dabs = Nothing

Exit Function

err_HarvestOK:
        HarvestOK = False                                               'the sad exit
        MsgBox "Error on file " & dunFiles & " - " & recFile!fileSpec & vbCrLf & err.Description, vbCritical + vbOKOnly, "Harvester.HarvestOK"
        Resume exit_HarvestOK

End Function
    currently using SS 2008R2

Thanks! I think this gives me enough to go on!

Appreciate the help!
    Doug
    Doug

Unhappy Read the excel file to get the worksheet names and cells?

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get this working. Your example is awesome - but it requires that you know the worksheets and cells and ranges. My problem is that I need to select a workbook and have the code determine the number and name of the worksheets with all of the ranges, then import each of them.
    Doug

my use was predefined data-gathering XLS, each with an arbitrary number of (identical) worksheets.
    i knew the structure and datatypes in advance so i could make table Cells
    Dir() got the filenames (all files in one directory) into table FileList
    the routine i posted did the rest.

if you don't know the XLS structure in advance, how are you going to import?

object browser shows stuff that might be worth poking around with:
    Names (Excel.Worksheet)
    Listnames (Excel.Range)
    ...but sorry - i have never had the need to play with ranges myself so can't help.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2