Unanswered: Port needed for Replication

Hi,

Is there any specific/default port that is used by replication? For instance, Replication Manager?

i need to know the ports to be opened from the source database bec there is a firewall.

Would appreciate any help.
    Thanks.

Oracle replication uses standard oracle listener port. Open the port that you have setup in your listener. Oracle replication uses simple database link to replicate.

Earlier reply is true, replication uses your Listener's standard port number. This is because replication uses a local background process to look at file tnsnames.ora (or whatever naming method you have) to identify the location of the remote database, and contacts the remote listener just like any old user would do. When the request hits your remote listener, it spawns a server process on that machine to act as an agent. Again, that's how all Oracle client connections work, so nothing new here with replication.

Anyone replicating through a firewall should consider using the Oracle Connection Manager (CMan). This is because the firewall may change your IP address and your port number. For example, to get to my database at 192.168.0.5:2483 I need to point my tnsnames.ora file to x.x.x.x:9999 (real values hidden for security reasons.)

Sometimes you can get away with simple "port forwarding" built into all new routers, instead of using CMan. However, some implementations of port forwording confuse Oracle Replication. CMan offers multiplexing and other robust features not found in many routers.

Back in the old days, if our clients and databases were separated by a firewall then we had to configure the file tnsnav.ora (in the same directory as tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora), but that got replaced by CMan in Oracle8.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm

Hi Mark,

Does that mean i should open port 9999 as well? Sorry for my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by markrem
    Anyone replicating through a firewall should consider using the Oracle Connection Manager (CMan). This is because the firewall may change your IP address and your port number. For example, to get to my database at 192.168.0.5:2483 I need to point my tnsnames.ora file to x.x.x.x:9999 (real values hidden for security reasons.)

Sorry, I should have been more consistent in my answer. In my example, replace 9999 with 2483. This is because home/small business routers do not forward from one port number to another, they just forward from one IP address to the same port on a second IP address.
    MarkRem
    Author, Oracle Database 10g: From Nuts to Soup
    http://www.remidata.com/book_nuts2soup.htm