Unanswered: How to compress text before storing in DB?

I was planning on running a service where thousands of text messages are stored. Obviously I'd want to make the most of my DB space, and was wondering if there's some way for SQL to compress text down to the smallest space possible. If not, is there some kind of ASP component I could download to do this? Failing that, I could always write a simple one, which takes the most common letter combinations, and shortens them down to a single character.

Any advice?

Space is cheap. Use it. Otherwise, your data will be dependent on whatever compression algorithm you use, and everyone will have to consult with you to read the data. Of course, if you're a consultant focused on billable hours, writing some hair-brained compression may be just what you want.

Either don't worry about space (have you done the math on what this gives you vs. buying the adequate space?), or store your text outside the db on a compressed drive.
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams

I don't have to consult with anyone It's a one-man project, just something I'm building for consumers, there's no income involved. And space is cheap, yes, if I'm hosting this solution myself. But I'm not. And SQL Server 2000 DB storage does not come cheaply at a good, reliable host.

Anyone else? Anyone?

Maybe this will get you to drink the water: Video on Hotmail Architecture
    I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. Douglas Adams