Unanswered: FYI - DSNs and their differences and uses ...

Check this link out. VERY good explanation of DSNs...

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;193332
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

i gave up on DSNs - had enormous problems getting non-tekkie people running with them. i never did understand why some folk couldn't connect with my DSNs, but all the problems went away with DSN-less connections.

frankly, i can't see what a DSN brings to the party even if it does work for everyone. what am i missing? are there any reasons to prefer a DSN ??

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    i gave up on DSNs - had enormous problems getting non-tekkie people running with them. i never did understand why some folk couldn't connect with my DSNs, but all the problems went away with DSN-less connections.

frankly, i can't see what a DSN brings to the party even if it does work for everyone. what am i missing? are there any reasons to prefer a DSN ??

izy
    Izy,

I've never had a problem with them ... The thing I love about them best is that you can use a DSN and not have to worry about a hardcoded path (or db name) to connect to - or even a "semi" hardcoded path or name ... Where the file resides or what it's name is is transparent to the application connection to the database ...

fair point!

i use a hard-coded global constant as connection string, so a switch to a new backend is only a couple of characters of typing.

i do admit that very occasionally i use a saved query to attack a remote db so a DSN would save the hassle of copy/pasting the connection string into a few passthru queries, but then again i'd have to switch the DSN in those queries anyway since new backend almost certainly means new frontend to handle new backend features.

i know globals vaporise in a crash, but then again my code is designed not to crash! in any case, if i loose my global connection string i've lost all my other globals, so it's a great time for the frontend not to be able to talk to the data at all.

i just wondered if it was somehow faster to use a DSN or something?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

Quote Originally Posted by izyrider
    i just wondered if it was somehow faster to use a DSN or something?

izy
    Not really ... That is determined by the object you use to connect with ... The screamer I used in the past was an ADO object in the msado15.dll (using c++). Talk about instant update!!