Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Error using Database Configuration Assistant

I'm trying to create a new database on our server, which already holds two databases.

At the end of the Database Configuration Assistant wizard I get the following error during the "Copying database files" step:

ORA-12154: TNS: could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

...but nowhere in the process was I asked for a connect identifier. And why is it trying to connect to connect to a database that hasn't been create yet?

I am stumped. Any help would be appreciated.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Hi,

i guess you are on a oracle 9.2 database. In the past i had a simmilar problem and i think i solved it by setting the memory parameters in the dbca manually.

Do not ask why, just try plaing around with the memory settings. Downsize or upsize it. Try manuel or percentage settings.

dbca does a lot under the surface. After copying the files dbca tries to start the instance. I think something goes wrong at this moment, based on your memory settings. The TNS error is just a followup error and not the real reason.

In the long run just try to build a database manually from the command line. If errors occure you would have a better possibsility to trace the problems.

Regards,
    Klaus
    Last edited by KlausSchuler; 02-17-05 at 15:38.

I'm using Oracle 10g.

I know I have succesfully created databases using the wizard in the past.

What is the command line for creating databases?

...and the $64,000 dollar question: Why don't any of my Oracle reference books list anything under "Databases, Creating". That would seem pretty basic to me. Aren't there ANY good manuals for Oracle available?

blindman

Found the answer.

I was using an @ symbol in the admin password I specified, which apparently is a no-no.

Gee, thanks Oracle. You couldn't have checked the password for validity? Just wasted five hours of time because of your crappy interface....

blindman