Unanswered: .MDB vs .MDE for Distribution

I have split my database; one database for all tables and one for everything else. I am getting ready to deploy my application...I am going to run through Package wizard which will create .MDE file. My question is - will it create 2 .MDE files (1 for each of my databases). I am trying to understand how I make updates to form, report, etc after I have deployed the application without losing data in tables. Thanks!

Provided Answers: 59
    if you deploy yourback end and front end as MDE's you can't make changes. you can only make changes to MDB's, or ADP's if you are connecting to a SQL server backend.

Its a long time since I have deployed a back end in Access so I'm not sure what you would do with the back end deployed as an MDE. I suppose you could connect to the MDE and run a SQL query which contained DDL statements (eg alter table....)

As regards to changing the front end, you cant make chanegs to a MDE they have to be made in an MDB and then generate a new MDE from that MDB. So its important to keep copies of the MDB.

i would suggest using an access front end to access an SQL server database. Basically because the Database location won't change, and SQL server has better security, backup potential etc.

how we have developed an application is by having two databases.

the front end has forms,etc and is changed by us and we issue it as an mde to our customers.

the backend is issued as a mdb.

we use an update program to update table changes in the backend when we issue a new front end.

thats my way

Thanks for the responses. You say you have an update program for table changes when you deploy an updated .mde. Is that only if the changes made to your .mde require some sort of data change. What I mean is if you just changed a property on a form and then redeployed the .mde, is the .mdb with the table info ok?
    And if I have forms, etc. as .mde and tables as .mdb, is my application safe? This pgm is for a very small family business...data is not sensitive, I just want to protect from user changing things they shouldn't.

Provided Answers: 59
    If the underlying data structure doesn't change then there is no problem - the front end will talk to the back end. YOu make what ever changes you wan tto the front end and deploy a new MDE. The potential problem is if you want to make changes to a back end (ie the tables) that is deployed as an MDE. That is a different problem altogether. It can be doen its just messy trying to apply chanegs to data in place.

If you want to make changes to the front end, then you make changes to your design master (the MDB) and when ready deploy these as a MDE. The one point to bear in mind is that you need to make sure the deployed front end is pointing (linked) to the deployed backend. It is a possible problem. You can get round by making sure that the application is deployed in a specified location and make sure you link to that path before making the MDE.

IE I would suggest you define a path say
    c:\brmk\app\
    devlop in that path and then make you MDE. if the client application installed in the same path on a different machine then it will not be a problem.