Thread: asp into mysql

Unanswered: asp into mysql

All,
    I am new to all this, so please be patient with me. I have established a connection with my MySQL database using ASP, but now I want to get data into the database via an .asp form.

The connection code I have inside regForm.asp is:

<%

ConnString = "Driver={MySQL};SERVER=localhost;DATABASE=database name;UID=uid;PASSWORD=password"
    Set Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
    Conn.Open ConnString

%>

What do I need to do to have data populate the MySQL table when the submit button on the form is clicked?

I guess I need to code to add a new record to my table in mysql. Can someone please help with the code for this?

I have replaced the actual real info in the code above with generic stuff.

Please help.

Thanks in advance,

In your submit_Form.Asp
    you have to open database connection and execute INSERT query on it..

for example,

Dim Conn, insertSQL

Conn.Open connectionString
    If Conn.State = 1 Then
    insertSQL = "INSERT INTO tableXYZ VALUES (" & var1 &", " & var2 & ")"
    Conn.Execute insertSQL
    Conn.Close
    End If

Set Conn = Nothing

Hope this will help...

jay82,
    This is the code I ended up using:

<%
    ConnString = "Driver={MySQL};SERVER=localhost;DATABASE=gsgevent s;UID=gsgevents;PASSWORD=mollycollie"
    Conn.Open ConnString

mySQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_registration (dateEntered,salutation,first_lastName,company,mai lingAddress,city,state,zipCode,telephoneNo,faxNo,e mailAddress,xMeal,hotelYesNo,arrivalDate,departure Date,roomType,bedSize,sharingRoomYesNo,roomMate,to talInRoom,creditCardType,creditCardNo,cardHoldersN ame,expDate)"
    mySQL = mySQL & " VALUES ('" & request.form("dateEntered") & "','" & request.form("salutation") & "','" & request.form("first_lastName") & "','" & request.form("company") & "','" & request.form("mailingAddress") & "','" & request.form("city") & "','" & request.form("state") & "','" & request.form("zipCode") & "','" & request.form("telephoneNo") & "','" & request.form("faxNo") & "','" & request.form("emailAddress") & "','" & request.form("xMeal") & "','" & request.form("hotelYesNo") & "','" & request.form("arrivalDate") & "','" & request.form("departureDate") & "','" & request.form("roomType") & "','" & request.form("bedSize") & "','" & request.form("sharingRoomYesNo") & "','" & request.form("roomMate") & "','" & request.form("totalInRoom") & "','" & request.form("creditCardType") & "','" & request.form("creditCardNo") & "','" & request.form("cardHoldersName") & "','" & request.form("expDate") & "')"
    'make sure to change the word "demoConn"
    'below to the name of your connection
    Conn.execute(mySQL)

%>

It works fine, but now I want to add a piece of code to redirect the user to another page upon clicking the submit button.

How would I do this my friend?

Hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

You mean after inserting data into table...

that's easy...

you can simply write
    Response.Redirect ("/folder/xyz.asp")
    and it will redirect to that page after inserting record into your table.
    you might want to check error before doing this.. like

If Err.number <> 0 Then
    Response.Redirect ("/folder/xyz.asp")
    Else
    Respone.write "Errror : " & Err.Description
    End If

The only problem with that, is if I hit the Refresh button it redirects also, and I don't want that.

How do I stop it from redirecting if the Refresh button is depressed?

Also, if my link is chosen to go to the submission form, it right away redirects to the confirmation page. In other words, I can't even get to the submission page, without it automatically redirecting to the confirmation page.

How do I remedy this, along with remedy of the Refresh button?

Here is the code with the redirect part. Is that part in the right place?:

<%
    ConnString = "Driver={MySQL};SERVER=localhost;DATABASE=gsgevent s;UID=gsgevents;PASSWORD=mollycollie"
    Conn.Open ConnString

mySQL = "INSERT INTO tbl_registration (dateEntered,salutation,first_lastName,company,mai lingAddress,city,state,zipCode,telephoneNo,faxNo,e mailAddress,xMeal,hotelYesNo,arrivalDate,departure Date,roomType,bedSize,sharingRoomYesNo,roomMate,to talInRoom,creditCardType,creditCardNo,cardHoldersN ame,expDate)"
    mySQL = mySQL & " VALUES ('" & request.form("dateEntered") & "','" & request.form("salutation") & "','" & request.form("first_lastName") & "','" & request.form("company") & "','" & request.form("mailingAddress") & "','" & request.form("city") & "','" & request.form("state") & "','" & request.form("zipCode") & "','" & request.form("telephoneNo") & "','" & request.form("faxNo") & "','" & request.form("emailAddress") & "','" & request.form("xMeal") & "','" & request.form("hotelYesNo") & "','" & request.form("arrivalDate") & "','" & request.form("departureDate") & "','" & request.form("roomType") & "','" & request.form("bedSize") & "','" & request.form("sharingRoomYesNo") & "','" & request.form("roomMate") & "','" & request.form("totalInRoom") & "','" & request.form("creditCardType") & "','" & request.form("creditCardNo") & "','" & request.form("cardHoldersName") & "','" & request.form("expDate") & "')"
    'make sure to change the word "demoConn"
    'below to the name of your connection
    Conn.execute(mySQL)

Response.Redirect ("http://www.gsgevents.com/secureEvents/confirmation.html")
    %>