Unanswered: Redesign Existing Database

I currently have an existing Dbase that was designed by someone who knew NOTHING of access at the time. She had the right idea, but didnt have the knoledge on how to lay things out properly. I have LOTS of information about our customers, appointment times, appointment outcomes, pricing, etc... It goes on and on. The problem, from what I can tell... is that its all in one Table... unfortunately I am not up too much on layout and design of these things, but I think there should be some various tables with more relations between them... I just dont know where to start.

I know this is a big question, but some general input on where to start and how to lay this thing out, would be a big help.

Thanks!

You need to normalise the data, that is split the table up so you don't get duplicating data (amongst other things). Access help goes into some detail about this and is a good place to start. Access also has a wizard that will do a lot of the work for you called the Table Analyzer. It's not perfect but it is a good start
    Justin

Try this link for a data model or samples
    http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm
    Darasen

Thanks for the information...
    That site has some models setup that gives me an idea...

I am now wondering how I am going to go about transfering all this data and keeping things associated...

currently I have a table with 30 different fields ranging from quotes to names and addresses... it goes on and on... If I start breaking them into different tables, I am afraid that I am going to have a hard time keeping all the information linked... if that makes any sense.

Read up on Make Table queires or, make your tables and do as some append queries.
    Darasen

Use the Access Table Analyzer wizard - it will help you to normalise the data into separate tables. It will also create the primary and foreign keys required to link the tables back to each other. You should also read about data normalisation in the help file so you understand why the table needs to be broken