Thread: decimal placing

Unanswered: decimal placing

Hi All

I have a database (that's probably why i'm posting in here!). In one of the fields on a form a list box works out the averages of weights of a particular items or items that have been recorded elsewhere on the database. The weights are coming out like (3.4332223) I want them to show this with only two digits after the decimal points.

Any ideas, please.I have tried changing the properties on the query behind the list box but this doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks

col_bol

I would put a calculated field in the query that returns the number as a formatted string. Something like:

FormattedWeight:Format([Weight],"0.00") for two decimal places

This assumes the name of the Weight field is Weight.

Don't worry about the extra decimal places in the query itself, because the user doesn't see that. All he sees is the info in the List Box. As long as you set the List Box's Property Sheet to display only 2 decimal places, that's all he'll see.

Sam

Sam Landy

What version are you using? How would you do that, specifically? I have never seen anything that will allow you to format the columns in a List Box. However I have been using 97 for several years until recently when we upgraded to 2002. I have always hated not being able to format the data in a list box.

Yes ... I'd be most interested in how you can do that too Sam ... What property of the ListBox is it now????
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

You can quantize your data using the following formula:

roundedWeight = Round(Me.weight * 100) / 100

In other languages I would use the Floor function so that the number is never rounded up but I can't find this function in VBA.

Ulp, you guys are right, and I'm eating the crow. Chomp, chomp.

My work around was similar to Campster's, as follows. I forced the information using the Round() function, namely: Round(PCTWeight, 5). This forces the data into a maximum of 5 decimal places. I then save the info in a table. The list box source is a query based on the table, and always limits the decimals properly. I only use the number "5" because I need precision, as I'm dealing with a high-dollar application. I use "2" in another app, and it works properly there, too.

Sam

Thanks

Thanks to everyone - you would of thought Mr Gates would have just made a little drop down box so you can format the list box !!

How good is he really?
    col_bol

Provided Answers: 59
    wonder what would happen if you changed the format of the trext box to fixed and set the number of decimals to 2?