Unanswered: Is there a way to use the Access form without having to install MS Access.

Someone told me about this and I don't know if it is true or not. But he told me that there is a way to put a form on a client computer without having to install MS Access on it and be able to use it. Is it possible? If so, is there a way to do it?

Thanks in advance..

Provided Answers: 59
    Access runtime, comes with the office developer kit, or a data access page can provide that functionality. Neither solution is neccesarily quick, cheap and identical OR flexible as having a native copy of Access on the client PC

Even it is not good as having the native, I still would like to try it out and see how it works. There might be some advantage to it.

An alternative is to use access Data Pages - which is a separate web page file that links to an Access database (or any database system). you design it in Access but you can use it from Access or the internet. It was introduced in Access 2000 but Access 2003 has the most useable version of the data pages. Its a big area and you will need to read the help files.

regards
    Justin

Neat! I'm trying it right now. I have never known about this before. This would really save me time having to install the database and linking the table to each client computer.

What is the purpose of the office developer kit? Where can I find it in the MS office?

Provided Answers: 59
    ODK: Its not part of Office, its a separate product

if you deploy using Data Access Pages each client PC will have to have a copy of the office run time library (forget which one), so each PC must have either a copy of Office installed or the library

I've heard commments that DAP's are resource hungry - you may have a problem serving the pages within your exisitng infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem
    ODK: Its not part of Office, its a separate product

if you deploy using Data Access Pages each client PC will have to have a copy of the office run time library (forget which one), so each PC must have either a copy of Office installed or the library
    Does you deploy the DAP as a webpage on the IIS server or create a map drive to the folder or just copy the file to the client PC?