Unanswered: Importing data pump data into a new db

As part of my development db backup strategy, I export data in the database to a dump file using expdp (I export data_only).

Is it possible to create a second database and load the data in the dump file?

Thanks in advance,
    System: Oracle 10g on Fedora Core 1

We're just beginning to experiment with this as a logical backup strategy, end everything works fine. We perform a full database export via datapump, and then we can restore table, data, packages etc using impdp.

We're luckily small enough that this is not a problem. Depending on the size of your system, the only problem you may run into is finding the time in your database's schedule to perform this, since you probably want the data to be concurrent when you export it (just another parm expdp).

-cf

if you build up your database from that data only containing file you may figure poor performance due to lack of indexes, which you should at least include --- but for me logical exports from the database are no valid backup strategies as it can't be used as a base for point-in-time recovery ...

The main reason I export data to a file is to restore data after some human error. Suppose a developer updates every field in a table and sets them all to null (this happened at the beginning of the year), we can just import the data into a new db, extract the data of interest and delete the database.

The version of Oracle we have doesn't have the FLASHBACK TABLE or FLASHBACK DATABASE feature, and we wouldn't want to stop the test database just to use the RECOVER command.

Right, logical backups are no substitute for point-in-time recovery. RMAN for point-in-time, expdp/impdp for logical.
    -cf

We have a logical backup strategy in addition to a physical strategy.