Unanswered: Emailing reports

What is the best format to send reports by email. and can it have pictures in it.

Hi,

I prefer to email the reports in snapshot (*.snp) format as they maintain the design of your report. the problem is that this isn't always readable by users. This is as said by the program name a snapshot of each page of your report so will look exactly the same as your database report.

A way that everyone will see is if you output your report into Rich Text (*.rtf) format although all your desigining troubles conviently get removed from the document.

To do this I have a function on my database that will output my report into both snapshot and rich text format and just e-mail them both to people. Can't complain if one of them work can they?

is there a program that people can use to see the snp file

Quote Originally Posted by mega1
    is there a program that people can use to see the snp file
    snpviewer.exe ... Comes with Windows ... You could also try a PDF writer ...
    Back to Access ... ADO is not the way to go for speed ...

yep

Yep, that is the whole point of the *.snp extension. Users who do not have Access can use "Snapshot Viewer 9.0" to view the files. It can be downloaded here
    https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...displaylang=en

*I have referenced the https version of the MS website. If you do not trust that url, because it is long with some code in it, simply Type in http://www.microsoft.com in your browser and go to the search in the upper right hand corner and search for "Snapshot Viewer" and it should be the first result.

Provided Answers: 59
    Historically i've found snapshot flaky, occasionally dropping areas of the report. Whenever I've designed reports for email I've used PDF, and never had a significant problem. It may cost a bit certainly compared to snapshot which is a freebee. Since accquiring the PDF writer it has had numerous other uses includig sending contract documentation, tenders etc. Windows treqats it as a standard printer and any windows programs can priont to it for email or other distribution

I agree *.snp's do have their downfall but in all the time I have been using this, I have only ever experienced a problem with one person. a nine page report was recieved as a 1 page document.

I would query this though due to the fact that I could see all nine pages when I sent it.

Provided Answers: 59
    Once was enough for me! I think the faults were tied dow to a versioning problem of the snapshot viewer.

I have never yet had a PDF report come back with missing pages, or sections. The only bugbear was PDF writer insisting it was in America and using Letter in place of the A4 it was told to use, but once this wrinkle was identified it has never casue a problem (just altered the pritn area to suit the foibles and never looked back)

Another advantage of PDF is the document can be viewed by non MS users, which with some clients was a hugh benefit, they were a Mac shop with a few *IX boxes. I suspect PDF is also a much more stable product than IE a docuemnt written in the current PDF will remain viewable in all forms of reader. I have some PDF's written back in 2000/2001 and these are all legible today, I seriously doubt that I could guarantee the same of a snapshot.

due to the fact that they dont want to spend any more money i have to go with the cheep one. and as the report is only 1 page big if there is missing pages there will be no pages to view. what i have done is made a database that will sell tickets for the cinema the report will print out what is on and when