Question Unanswered: sorting on different field than group by (Crystal report 8.0)

I have a report in crystal report 8 in which i used the group by option. The fields in the report are :

Item Code , Item Name, Opening, Received, Issued, Closing Balance

I group this report by Item Code, as I want the sum of all these fields for an item. I have suppress the Detail section and only showing the group footer where sum of all these fields are showing. This report is working perfectly but now I want to sort this report by Item Name or Closing Balance. It seems to be very difficult as i cannot change the group as it must be on item code and if use sort records command it is not effective as group sorting is on priority.

So is there any way that remaining the group on Item Code I can change the sorting order to some other field?

Please help!

No Body Replied As Yet. Please help as I need Urgent Help!

Hi,
    If you use group then record sort will be based on the group. If you sort the records by ItemName then within each group sorting will be done and not as a whole
    Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail

SO that means there is no way???

Yes I think so
    Madhivanan

Failing to plan is Planning to fail

Usually the simplest solution is to perform the grouping / summarizing at the server side (e.g. using SQL Server stored procedure, Access query, etc.), and then use the stored procedure or query as the source for the data.

An alternative that I read about is to create global variables in the report, assign the values to these variables using 'WhilePrintingRecords;' in formula fields, and passing these variables through to a subreport that then does the actual reporting for you.

The example was for Crystal 9, so I don't know whether this works in Crystal 8. Look at http://support.businessobjects.com/c...portdesign.pdf
    for a document with links to various Crystal Report solutions, or go straight to http://support.businessobjects.com/c...e_formulas.pdf
    for the document specific to this.

Good luck!!
    Barry

Group by both

Set Group 1 as Item Name, then Group 2 as Item Code. Suppress both the header and footer for Group 1. Crystal will apply the first sort to Item Name, then group on Item Code. This will only work if the Item Name is always the linked to the Item Code.