Unanswered: Search for data in "all tables"

Is it possible to search for a certain value in multiple tables?

If I i.e. want to search for all tables containing the text-string 'how are you' - how do I do that?

/Kaare Friis-Christensen

There's no query to do that.
    You need to make a select for every table..... but why would you want this????
    Ruud Schilders
    -----------------
    Oracle DBA
    e-mail : ruud@schilders.it
    URL : www.schilders.it
    Twitter : www.twitter.com/ruudschilders

Missing tablename

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudboy
    There's no query to do that.
    You need to make a select for every table..... but why would you want this????
    I am working on a project, where I want to make a transformation of coordinates. In the table MDSYS.CS_SRS I have created a new SRID (coordinate system) which is based on a datum (European 1950). The information about that datum, I thought was available in the table MDSYS.SDO_DATUMS, but whatever I make of changes in that table, it never effects the transformation. Therefore the data for the datum 'European 1950' must be available somewhere else, but I can't figure out where. That is the reason for my request - I seek all table names containing the text string value 'European 1950'.

Any other good idea is very welcome.

/Kaare Friis-Christensen

You can use Oracle Text. You can define a user defined storage procedure that concatenates from many tables in the build of the index. This would be best for keyword searching.

However, you can also just query a query that unions all the columns you want to search, or a view.

There is no 'select * from *' and thinking on it, I'm glad there's not!
    Steven Karam
    Oracle 10g Certified Master
    Web: OrclDBA.com
    Email: steve@orcldba.com